Cherub pinning shenanigans

Chucklemonkey

Hello all, having never pinned a model in my life I was just looking for some advice and info.

Firstly, what is actually used as the pin? I understand it is a small metal rod but what and where do I actually ask for this? Is it something I should get in a hardware store or is it a material best sourced from gaming shops/websites?

Secondly, and this is particularly relevant to the cherub, my intention would be to pin it to a scenic element on the base to give the appearance of flight, in doing so however it would seem that the entire model's weight would bear down on the pin. Is this feasible, or would the model weigh too much for the pinning material?

Sorry for what may be basic questions, really coming to this blind. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hi,

- You need a pin vice(or Dremel type multi-tool) to hold the drill bits.

- Drill bits.

+ I'd use brass wire for the pinning, and you'll need snips to snip it.

-I used to get all that from a model shop, often model railway/remote control car shops sell these items (or a GW store).

-Practice on a few old figs you're not precious about first!

-The cherub's a relatively light model.

-The difficulty will be in cleanly drilling into the feet/wings (if that's your intention).

I made the cherub (was particularly pleased with the wings)!

It's a pain, but if you're serious about getting good results, you'll need to spend some dosh on preparatory tools.

- When I first got into minis, I used (don't do this at home!!) one of my Mums kitchen knives to remove flash, great blobs of araldite to gunge things together(don't do that either!).

-You should get plenty of useful advice on here!

Hi,

- You need a pin vice(or Dremel type multi-tool) to hold the drill bits.

- Drill bits.

+ I'd use brass wire for the pinning, and you'll need snips to snip it.

-I used to get all that from a model shop, often model railway/remote control car shops sell these items (or a GW store).

-Practice on a few old figs you're not precious about first!

Pretty much dead on - the only thing I'd add is that you can also use cut up metal paper clips if you can't get a hold of tiny brass rods/wires.

I use paper clips for most of my pinning. For especially delicate pins I use real-life straight pins - snip the point and the head, and you've got a surprisingly strong bit of very thin metal.

I like this pin idea it would seem to me to be somewhat sturdier than paper clips, will check out brass strips also.

Think it's a trip out to see about buying a dremel also...

Thanks to all for the help. Well, except you brushmistress, I know your opinion on cats, grrrr...

Seriously,thanks all.:hail:

I would NOT suggest using a Dremel for pinning. Most Dremels are very, VERY high RPM, and there's a lot of potential for damage if the bit binds, and even if it doesn't that much speed will heat the metal up quickly.

If you want power tools, a standard power drill is a bit bulky, but does the job as it's far more controllable at slow speeds. Realistically though, you're better off with a simple hand-worked pin vise. Make sure you get one with a rotating head, and you'll be fine. Unless you're doing a LOT of pinning or very large models, doing it by hand goes pretty quickly.

A pic so you can see the results. I used a regular pin with the piont and head nipped of (as dscribed above). IIn this instant I drilled into its butt. I have alot of experience but the limbs on the cherub are to tiny and easy to damage.

There's no issue with the weight. This is a very light figure and the pin is strong. Just make sure you dill into the figure about 3mm. I painted the pin silver. Black stands out to much.

LilithandCherub.jpg

Edited by Melnibonean

I use this for pins

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/armature-pinning-wire-x10-p-3980.html

has the advantage that it is exactly 1mm in diameter allowing a good snug fit with holes made with 1mm bit (unlike paperclips and the ilk which tend to be thinner and wallow in the hole a bit).

As to pinning itself it seems really hard at first but with a little practice you'll soon realise you can pin almost anything (I've drilled the middle out of 1.5mm plastic rod to make sniper rifle barrels).Like anything else practice makes perfect.

I use this for pins

has the advantage that it is exactly 1mm in diameter allowing a good snug fit with holes made with 1mm bit (unlike paperclips and the ilk which tend to be thinner and wallow in the hole a bit).

You can buy 1mm paperclips (here in aus at least). I use 'normal' paperclips and drill with a .85mm bit (which is a number 66 bit in many manufacturer's ranges).