New Malifaux player needs help picking a second box!

Golgothas

Hello everyone.

I'm an adamant Warmachine/Hordes player who was introduced to Malifaux by a gent in Pittsburgh who dropped the Malifaux book into my lap and said: "If you like skirmish mini games, look at this."

The art hooked me, but the gorgeous models made me cry. Wyrd Miniatures really knows how to make a great looking sculpt.

It was not until later that I realized that I was, indeed, looking at a miniature game. I've looked at battle reports and viewed some demos of the game on youtube. After much thought, and being swayed by the affordable prices...

I'm ready to buy two crew boxes for Malifaux.

The first one I REALLY want is Ramos - and he is currently on his way.

But I understand that Ramos is a bit difficult for a beginner to get a handle on, so I looked around and there are three other boxes that intrigue me:

Sonnia Criid's crew box.

Nicodem's Crew box

or Seamus' Crew box.

Which would you guys recommend I invest in as a beginner?

Unless you have the money I would stick to the same faction. Though if your coming from WM/H you will realize that for the cost of a unit box you can get a full crew with support minions.

If you want a more straight up fighting crew to balance out Ramos get the Guild's Sonnia crew box. If you want undead swarms get either of the others.

Out of the 3 you've listed:-

Seamus is pretty damn good (he's my go to master) and you'd probablly need to only buy one or two blisters to bolster it into a formidable force.

Sonnia Criid is like most of the Guild a solid choice for beginers.

Nicodem I think would be the hardest to play as a beginer also to make best use of him you'll need a lot of spare zombie models (for mindless dead) and a range of other undead to summon in.

If you're looking at the Guild and you like shooty forces, you might try the Ortegas. They've got a few fancy tricks, but what they're really about is hammering their foes at range, and Perdita is fast, as well. (Not to mention they have a potentially really nasty kamikaze in Papa Loco.)

Lady Justice's force is also strong, but it uses a bit more in the way of tricks.

I haven't tried Sonnia Criid's force yet, but I've heard good things about her.

Unless you're really good at picking up finesse forces really fast, I'd steer clear of the Bayou Gremlins until you're more used to the game. They're really fun to play (I drive my opponents nuts doing voices and such), but they're tough to get the hang of.

(As you may've guessed, I'm most familiar with Guild and Gremlins.)