Gambling rules: a wishlist

macgowan

I'd like the game to do more with the cards. One way would be to incorporate traditional gambling card games as new abilities. For example:

Faro: If you the value of a card in your hand is flipped, you may discard to add its value to your Starting Total.

(ex: flip a 4? Add a 4 from your hand to make it 8)

Blackjack: You may add a card from your hand to the flipped card if it brings the total to exactly 21.

(ex: Trait:4, Flip:10, may add a 7 from hand)

Poker (optional): When this character enters a Contested Duel, both players set aside their Fate Hands and draw a five card "Poker Hand." This character's controller may add any cards from their Fate Hand. Once Poker Hands are created, they are simultaneously revealed. The winner of the hand wins the Duel with [+] to the combat result if applicable. All cards used in Poker Hands are discarded.

Dead Man's Hand: Reveal two Aces and two Eights from your Fate Hand. Target opponent discards their Fate Hand.

House Always Wins: Discard two Soulstones from your Crew's pool to search your Discard Pile for any card and add it to the total. This may be done in duels and damage flips which can't normally be Cheated.

Other suggestions?

Snap - If two or more cards from the fate deck match during flip both cards count.

So if I am carrying out a -- damage flip but I get two four's this takes it to an eight and moderate damage. (assuming the third card is moderate or better.

Not really a gambling rule and not sure I like it myself, just throwing it out there.

I'm not sure anything too complicated would be added, for fear of upsetting the core mechanics too much, but it's an interesting discussion.

Perhaps something as simple as future triggers requiring matching suits or subsequent numbers on the duel and damage flips?

I think a specific master with some poker related abilities would be better than incorporating it into the game as a whole. Make it so their control hand is limited to five cards and they have abilities that can be used if you have a specific set of cards (flush, straight, etc). This would require that the player reveal their hand, which would put them at a disadvantage, so the ability would have to be powerful enough to match that disadvantage. Maybe a master who's a card slinger, kind of like Gambit from X-Men. Could have a powerful ranged attack that requires you discard a control card to simulate the throwing of cards.