New to Malifaux

As the subject line says I'm new to Malifaux. I played my first game two weeks ago. I had a blast. The shop owner Mike (Of Nexus Games) let me use his Guild crew, while my brother ran Ramos (i think). Genetic ran me through a basic game & I loved it.

Now I'm saving for my first crew & was considering either buying a Viktoria's crew boxset , plus Ronin's box or possibly going with resurrectionists. With the resurrectionists , I'm not sure what I'd go for , as I like a mix of ranged 'shootiness' & melee 'choppiness' ;) . I don't own the book yet , which'll have to wait till after I get my first minis.

For a person with out access to a rulebook & stats, would a Viktorias/Ronin crew fit my desired style of play or some form of Resurrectionist with more of a combat focus, do better. I'm only considering Resurrectionists as I hear that Victorias & Ortegas are fairly popular locally. I'd consider a Guild crew but the shop owner & a friend of Genetic's is also playing a guild crew. So I don't want to over lap on my first crew. After I get used to the rules I might try a more magic focused crew like : Arcanist or Neverborn crew. Any advise would be much appreciated.

I think the Viktoria set + Ronin would fit the style you're after perfectly. They're very mobile, really good damage dealers in melee and have some nice ranged options as well. If you feel like you need more ranged punch, they can hire Convict Gunsliger or Hans.

Resurrectionists are great in melee as well but they really lack ranged attacks. Outside the Masters, none of them can really compete in that department. The Ressers are more about being extremely hard to get rid of and win their way through attrition.

Not that you can't make a ranged attack focused Resser crew. A friend of mine plays Seamus with the Convict Gunslinger, Copycat Killer and Seamus starter. He uses the Belles to Lure targets out of cover to get easy shots for Seamus (he has a very nasty gun) and Convict. That kind of a crew won't be as good in melee as other Ressers though.

-Ropetus

I think you would get more mileage out of buying the book first before the models and reading thru it. Read thru the faction sections to get an idea of the different styles of play. After that buy one box set and get some games under your belt with just the box set of the faction that you like, and then build up from there.

When I started I read thru the site, soaked up the information and then chose Neverborn for my first crew. I got the Lilith box set and the rules. The game plays excellent out of the starters.

I think you would get more mileage out of buying the book first before the models and reading thru it. Read thru the faction sections to get an idea of the different styles of play. After that buy one box set and get some games under your belt with just the box set of the faction that you like, and then build up from there.

When I started I read thru the site, soaked up the information and then chose Neverborn for my first crew. I got the Lilith box set and the rules. The game plays excellent out of the starters.

I'd do that but being unemployed makes it difficult. Once I get some landscape work this spring I'll be able to afford the book. I can only afford book or minis right now, I can read the book @ the shop the next time I'm in. So minis it is. Thanx for the advise though.