Page 5

blkdymnd

The point is that when WM came out with that "i will kick you and you cant do nothing about it", each faction HAD a character of their own and we loved it for that. Now for the sake of selling more (and that is a fact based on the quantity of new units that only have mk2 cards and resculpts) we get a rule change thats was unnecesary and took the flavor out of the factions we fanaticaly loved. Thats why some press gangers and very old players left PP, a simple card change could have solve the problem of "brokennes". 2 friends of mine are pressgangers, we playtested every aspect of the new rules before everyone else had a chance to read a preview. I opposed the rule changes and gave my argument for it, rules were fixed, but the escence of the game was lost in an atempt to categorize everything for the sake of "simplicity" or so i was told. Its not a bad game, but now it is not what we were sold in the beggining. Evolution is natural in any rule system but you dont need to compromise the all around feel of the game so that you can sell more. What would be Call of Chutulhu without its maddening atmosphere...?

I would never call page 5 as just a joke, they meant it to have meaning and to inspire their players to be competitive and play like you've got a pair. No one likes playing against the wuss player, you want a strong opponent who can give you a good fight. That is the essence of page 5. In the end, whether friendly or competitive or somewhere in between, it's all about competition. This applies to WM, any GW game, Malifaux, etc. It all boils down to a competition with the intent on having fun while you pit yourself against another person. I know there are some people who faint at the word competition, but thats what these games are in their very essence.

For those of you who used page 5 as an excuse not to even try the game, read the new page 5 in the MK 2 core book, they fixed what your complaining about and even say don't use this as an excuse to be an ass-hat. If page 5 really turns you off, I have to ask why. What is the real reason. The tone is fine, the wording is fine, there is nothing wrong with it except how you interrupt it. If your view on it is the reason, ok thats perfectly fine. Your entitled to your own view (obvioiusly) and thats respected, just as long as you realize that is the reason why and don't make other excuses for it.

I took it as a dig at GW. "Their players are all whiny bitches, come play our game! We have metal." And it left me feeling, "Hey! I like GW. I'm not a whiny bitch. Maybe I won't play your game."

Add to that, it did seem to promote an atmosphere of total power gaming. Which, mind you, has its place. I very much enjoy trying to build the most competitive army and analyze the rules so every little kink works to my advantage. It's probably why you and me are always in the rules forum here. BUT I do not like to play like that all the time. It is only fun when playing against someone who thinks similarly, and sometimes it's fun to kick back and play a space marine scout army converted and themed after the colonial marines in aliens. Or to do your best to outfit your guard for close combat and rush in. I just didn't see that happening with warmachine. Again, totally my interpretation, could be completely wrong, but I'm definitely going to base me decision to buy a game more on my interpretation than somebody else's.

@Lalochezia

Before you judge the game, Play a battlebox or 2. Find someone to run you through a demo (with out feats). If you cant find anyone, PM me and Ill see if I can work out a time to meet up.

Put page 5 out of yout mind and just have fun with it. If you still dont like it, then at least you gave the game a fair shake and you can walk away from it, no harm no foul.:fing02:

@Lalochezia

Before you judge the game, Play a battlebox or 2. Find someone to run you through a demo (with out feats). If you cant find anyone, PM me and Ill see if I can work out a time to meet up.

Put page 5 out of yout mind and just have fun with it. If you still dont like it, then at least you gave the game a fair shake and you can walk away from it, no harm no foul.:fing02:

I'm not an entirely unreasonable person. And right after a new reset is always a good time to start things. I may take you up on that.

@Lalochezia

Unless of course you totally love the game, then your wallet and free time will be harmed quite a bit :whistle: