Best way to run demos?

fildrigar

The demos that I have ran that was starter box Vs. starter box was too much for a quick demo game. How I am running demos at the moment is I use the henchman model and two of the minions from a starter box and no masters. What models I have been using and it has been working out very well is, the Judge and two Death Marshals Vs. Mort and 2 Samurai Punk Zombies. The table size I have been using is 2' x 2' and I usually have a few buildings plus some trees and a fence.

Most matches only last 20 minutes and there is enough there that the players can get a very solid feel on how the system works.

Here is how I have been handling demoes

First, I do a quick demo of the how duels work. I cover both types of duels, triggers and then spell casting

Then I run a game with 3 models per size, which is around 15 SS, but I don't worry to much about the points for the demo.

After you show them how the game system works, try to find out what their playstyle is for other games (if they have some wargame experience).

Are they a more 'aggressive' type player? Explain the strengths of the Guild.

Are they a more 'tricky' type player? Try to cover various nuances of the Neverborn.

If they're more into 'board control', explain the Arcanists a bit.

If they like self replenishing types of forces go into a bit of detail with the Resurrectionists in mind.

If they want ridiculous fun? Gremlins. :D

The gremlins aren't painted yet, so they're. A no go, cause unpainted minis don't show off the game as well.

What I've been doing is demonstrating the basics of the game, then letting them choose which faction looks best to them, then playing Pandora against them. It's worked out pretty well so far. A bunch of my demos were for people familiar with Warmachine, so that actually helped. More demos tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...