Starter box suggestions?

GreyHart

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to start Malifaux and other than the rulebook, I plan on picking up two starter boxes so I can sucker in... er... I mean so I can encourage others to try the game. :D

Any suggestions on which two boxes would be good for starting players?

I've read through the faction breakdowns and some on each specific box, but I'm looking for ones that have a relatively easy learning curve so people don't get too discouraged trying the game. I'm hoping that if I pick up the game I can get some interest generated and get a following for the game here.

Thanks for the help! Have a great day!

Here are the ones I feel are easiest to master

Lilith - She is a straight up beat stick and her army synergy is pretty easy to understand

Seamus - He has some tricks but his survivability means that even a novice player will keep him alive for a long time

Lady Justice - Similiar to Lilith, but with a little more ranged combat. A good match against Seamus

Perdita - A good mix of units. Mostly shooty but with a lot of variation. But nothing to complicated.

Viktorias - Another in your face melee list. The two masters are fun and as an added bonus its a nice addition all of the units are mercs so you can add them to other armies if you want(You can even bring the Viktoria sisters as your 2nd master in a Brawl)

What Nilus said with the additions of:

Sonnia Criid & the Witch Hunters. They're a great mix of Ranged, Melee and Spell casting to help grasp all the different kinds of duels within the system.

Rasputina and the Cult of December. This box is good to show the durability of different models in the game and her beginning tactics will show her players some board control.

The only thing I would like to add, and I do not want to discourage you from buying all the box sets, is that starter Vs. Starter is ok for a one time demo with a friend. If you are planning on doing several demos in a day then you will want to trim back on the number of models that you use for those demos. What I do for demos is I run the Judge plus 2 death marshals Vs. Mort plus 2 zombie punks. Both groups play fairly fast and gives the players a taste of most of the rules, which is what you want in a demo.

Honestly, any of the Guild boxes are straight forward. With the triggers, they tend to show off why you might want to cheat for a lower number just to get a specific suit.

Seamus works similarly, and helps to show off some of the fun that can be had with Willpower.