Hockey? anyone?

EricJ

I'm optimistic. I'm just going to go on thinking their big embarrassment for this year was the Dan Boyle own goal in game 3 v. Avs. Now that it's out of their system, and was not a series losing embarrassment, there is hope. Heck, they're now 5-0 after that own goal. :D

I can always keep living in my make-believe world..can't I?

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Sharks are finding the Wings find interesting ways to hand a game away. . . The Coyotes I can see but the 'guins???? YEEEECH.

(Must remember who was a Detroit coach before joining the Sharks ;) )

A West Coast series would be a cool thing, except for the prime time market in the east. . . and a West Coast/East Coast cup would prove to be a real pain for the league as well. But I am sure Little Gary has it all in hand.

The lack of impartial referees is a bit upsetting, but then the bias always shows up in the playoffs.

When the blind on versus comment, you know there is something to it.

But that said, when you play badly enough to allow some horrible calls to dictate the outcome of the game, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Anyone see Savard's cheap shot last night?

Man people are up in arms that the Flyers took exception with that!

I believe the refs got this one right for the most part. Might have given Savard a double and the Flyers two minutes, either way a power play was called for.

Edited by Manicmac

um, I think I must be dreaming, I'm supposed to be giving up at hockey for the year at about this point...I'm confused...Thorton to Marleau in OT to win in the playoffs?? Must be fiction...right? But 2 straight games with 2 big third period comebacks, amazing. I think the Sharks are finally figuring out that using their size through 60 minutes results in wearing down the other team...revolutionary!

I have to admit that I'm a bit tired of the non-stop pointing to officiating, and the fact Detroit fans don't seem to be able to discuss anything else. I watch the games also, and admit that things may have broken the Sharks way some, but review the calls, a vast majority of them have been valid calls. The only one which really stands out as a clearly blown call was the high stick in game 1 which resulted in a tripping penalty the other way for the tying goal. For the most part, I see the Sharks actually playing aggressive and physical hockey and benefiting from calls due to it.

I still think it's all just a big trick...unless they're just really sneaky and the Sharks did this all to blow the series in 7...

Sorry Eric you and I will disagree on this one. I stated you cannot play so badly as to allow the referees, (or Toronto's) bad calls decide a game. Explain a kicking motion when the skates never leave the ice surface?

Yes, the Wings are playing badly, or the Sharks are playing Detroit style hockey better, all season long the Wings have had Detroit Lions syndrome, play well for 30-40 minutes then "rest". For the Lions, it is usually the last half they roll over and die, for the Wings it is the final 20 minutes. That is, if they show up for the first 20.

The Sharks are playing playoff hockey NO DOUBT about it. But when the ref's blow a call or three or have the control taken away by a review that defies the rule and all logic, it is a cause for conjecture and concern.

With the exception of the frozen birds, there has been little to fear from the East or Atlantic division in the past. Had the Wings played with more heart and up to full potential last year, they too would have fallen by the wayside. Different styles of the game and depth.

The Sharks are playing good western type hockey, but they are only in the division finals. Sadly, the Western conference teams have a tendency to beat the daylights out of each other to get to the Cup round and then have little left or abandon their game in the most important round.