Hockey? anyone?

EricJ

A tip of the hat for another real Hockey fan and fellow goalie. I played goalie since I was that tall. . .being a round kid that is where I was put and I learned to love it.

Played up until my 30's when family, military career and lack of ice in general made me just fade away. And then of course being a stand up goalie didn't help when I could come back. Now I watch my three boys play, forward, defense and of course a goalie.

Been a Wings fan since I was 8 years old and my dad took us to Olympia. Back in the day the teams walked through the concourse to get to the ice, Every single one of them either shook hands with any kid that stuck his hand out or tapped you on the head or SOMETHING to acknowledge you were there. Gordie Howe, Alex Delvecchio and Ted Lindsey were the best!

Years later at Red Wings Training camp, my sons were treated the same way by Steve Yzerman, Chris Osgood, Darin McCarty, Kurt Maltby and Kris Drapper. Even Scotty Bowman took off his Stanley Cup ring and let my oldest son put it on his finger.

So yeah, no matter what, we are Red Wings fans first, then Original 6 fans, then Hockey fans.

No Offense taken. . . None intended.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PREDATORS! :)

Fixed that for ya Eric ;)

Also great story Maniac. I remember when I was young at a Sabres game I was at a bubble hockey table asking people (anyone realy) if they wanted to play. Mostly I was ignored but then someone offered me a game, it was JP Dumont. I was so happy when he went to the preds, hockey truly has the greatest players around, at least in my humble opinion.

Edited by Dorian

I hear a whimpering sound. . .the sound of woe. Is it? Could it be? Baby Kade?

No.

It's. . . penguins!

And their fans are trying to figure out what the heck is going on!!!

The team that was supposed to sweep is now in a do or die game 7!

And tonight, will we see Chicago go to FOUR straight wins to come back from a three game deficit? Will the Canucks collapse?

Oh I love playoff Hockey!

Some very interesting game 7's this year in round one, that's for sure! Although at this point I'm not sure who I'd rather win in the hawks/nucks, since one waythe sharks have to play Detroit, and the other they ahve to play Chicago. I'm sure Detroit wants the sharks though, for a rematch from last year.

Rookie Goalie? If he survives the second year, we'll see. Tim Thomas did it, but it is a wait and see type thing.

Congratulations to Chi-town. Took them all way to Game 7 and overtime to boot. Break down in the defense and there you go.

Wings-Sharks. I'd bet you a box set of Malifaux Eric, but that wouldn't be a fair.

will be a good rematch of last year, that's for sure!

ok, wings-sharks bet - whoever's team loses has to wear the logo of the other team as their avatar until the playoffs are over. I have a few too many Mali box sets around :D

As for the Lucic hit, it was definitely a major, without a doubt. When you hit a guy in the numbers, into the boards, and spill blood onto the ice...it's a major. It's twice the hit that resulted in a major against the sharks the other day. The fact is that the B's were playing better hockey last night, but it was also a bit sloppy (too many men/delay of game, etc...) and even dirty at times (boarding, slashing to break a stick), which resulted in two 5-3's with penalties which they definitely deserved, and so they lost. I think if they clean it up and play hard next game, they should have no problem finishing out the series.

And the hawks definitely put it to the canucks! They hung in the whole game despite being outplayed and manage to tie on a shorty?! really?! Entertaining to say the least. I was glad to watch it without having a team in the game, that's for sure!

will be a good rematch of last year, that's for sure!

ok, wings-sharks bet - whoever's team loses has to wear the logo of the other team as their avatar until the playoffs are over. I have a few too many Mali box sets around :D

As for the Lucic hit, it was definitely a major, without a doubt. When you hit a guy in the numbers, into the boards, and spill blood onto the ice...it's a major. It's twice the hit that resulted in a major against the sharks the other day. The fact is that the B's were playing better hockey last night, but it was also a bit sloppy (too many men/delay of game, etc...) and even dirty at times (boarding, slashing to break a stick), which resulted in two 5-3's with penalties which they definitely deserved, and so they lost. I think if they clean it up and play hard next game, they should have no problem finishing out the series.

If that was the here there wouldn't have been blood on the ice, that was the glass and the way that place is put together. Spacek also turned just before Lucic hit him to make it a hit from behind, it wasn't like he came charging at him for 10' away with his back to him the whole time. He deserved a penalty, but in not the Major there was no intent to injure. Especially since that actor was miraculously fine for the rest of the 2nd and 3rd period.

Boarding? Yes absolutely, but a major? No way in heck, that was complete BS. But I think we need to just agree to disagree on this as the mainstream media is as well XD

Either way, I hope the B's are up for it tonight. Time to move on and be done with this series one way or another. Go B's!

Edited by karn987

Regardless of the call, the effect on the game didn't change, as the 2nd penalty was about 20 seconds later, and the goal was about 70 seconds later, all well within the period if it had been a minor.

The real issue is that they didn't manage to turn their superior play/talent into a tying goal in the next 30+ minutes of the game.

Franzen got a no call when he was boarded by Doan.

Lots of blood, 21 stitches, broken nose. . . yes he did come back but why not, with a non-call? Not even after review. Yes Franzen lost an edge but Doan still delivered a hit to a defenseless player as he was going down.

I agree with you Karn, he saw the hit and turned, really a natural reaction, 2 minute minor.

I think we can all agree, the refs seemed to miss an awful lot of penalties this year. My favorite was When Helm got cut with a high stick and was bleeding. No call. So he stayed out. . . bleeding on the ice. The head ref made him leave and both he and Babcock wanted to know why? No call so he could not possibly been bleeding. As they went back and forth Helm got a butterfly bandage applied and went back out. Only to have to leave again due to blood on his sweater and face.

Changing avatars is okay I guess. But you have to post up Eric, no hiding for the playoffs. . .

Bruins pull through to beat the Habs last night. They shot up to a 2 to 0 lead right off the bat but due to a lost stick and penalties let it get tied but pulled through in OT for the game 7 win.

Bruins need to stay out of the penalty box, but now that they are past the Habs hopefully they will.

The Penguins are O-U-T!!!!

That makes me smile, no, it makes me laugh out loud.

Pipe I ain't adding liquid to your choice of breakfast cereals, just trying to bring you back to the reality of the NHL. Rookie goalies have a tough row to hoe in their second year, wait and see is the best approach before you give him the Vezina for life. Traditionally the second year is much tougher, the third tells if they will make it in the NHL. Tim Thomas is the perfect example, great first year, collapsed in the second and came back in the third.

Oh, and pittsburgh is OUT!!!!!!

Your right Manicmac, a truly great goalie should be consistent over years but, since the Vezina is supposed to be for a single season's worth of work, he probably should have been nominated for the award this year based on his stats alone. Whether he should have won the award is another question.

He definitely should have been a finalist for the Calder category too but I think being in the Hawks franchise since 2005 and having played in games in 2005, 2007, and 2009 worked against him being nominated for rookie of the year. In my opinion, this is really his rookie year as a starting goalie and so he should have been nominated.

All in all, I hope the Hawks keep him on at least for next year as the kid is 26 with room to grow both skill and experience wise. He hasn't peaked and he seems very mentally stable. 3 game seven's in a row and look at his stats over those last 4 games. Simply incredible.

PS: I haven't had a chance to post since but congrats to the Canucks, they played a great game 7.

Stats and then W's are two very different things. I, being an old goalie, like W's. Sort of the old Andy Moog type goalie, I can let in 6 because my team can score 7, and I get a W.

Jimmy Howard is like that a bit for Detroit, his GAA and stats were HORRIBLE but he had several times in the season, the most wins of any other goalie.

AND, being a Detroit Red Wings fan I cannot, under pain of death, violate the code, and say anything nice about Chicago. Sorry, but there it is.