Space Hulk Rumours...

"SPACE HULK

Okay, last week I told you there was a rumor going around that Games Workshop was revamping and reissuing their classic gateway drug of a board game SPACE HULK for relaunch later this year. After I posted that I got a call from Bigred over at Bell of Lost Souls who had a nugget of info for me. He’d made a few calls and told me without a doubt, IT IS HAPPENING. Sources that are always 100% confirmed that it will be dropping later this year. So I made a few calls of my own. And those calls told me the same thing. Here’s what we know:

-No one has a solid release date, which is par for the course this far out with GW. What we do know is that it is planned for Q3 – or August/September/October.

-GW is no longer in love with the Blood Angels. We’ve got a shitty micro codex that while cool when it came out pales, in comparison to Codex marines. Odds are it will either be A) a popular codex chapter B) Blood Ravens in hopes of drawing in fans of Dawn of War II or C) Dark Angels Deathwing in order to allow players an already playable army in 40K (I’ve actually heard this is a possibility.)

-The new plastic terminators are cheap and easy to assemble. They’re also readily convertible – I picked up 10 of the Black Reach terminators, the metal Thunder hammer/storm shield conversion pack and the TH/SH upgrade sprue from the close combat box and built myself 10 CC termies with only a little additional clipping. Odds are good that they’ll be just like the BRTs, but with different iconography.

-While there’s no price point yet, GW is known for making cheap starter sets. With the ability to field up to three squads of 10 terminators in the current codex, it will be entirely possible to build a fully functional, full sized army from two Black Reach Starter sets (or like most folks are doing, buying one and trading online/with a friend – orks for marines) and SPACE HULK. I imagine you’ll be able to run about 1500pts for somewhere around $100 if you’re smart about it.

If you’ve never played the original, you have no idea how excited the rest of us are. The premise is pretty simple – a giant floating ghostship is adrift in space and filled with aliens known as Tyranids (nids for short.) The Space Marines have sent in their Terminator Suit wearing marines to clean them out. Alien swarms, tight corridors and heavy duty weaponry. It’s a lot of fun. I’ll have more on this as it develops."

Link:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40102

Given that it would be a great, simple, obvious and popular idea that would make them money, I think it's unlikely that GW will do it....;)

Hope they do though - even this GW-hatin' boy would go for that one.

EDIT: Would be nice if they made the rules flexible enough that any faction could play against the nids (Tau Stealth/Crisis Suit teams come to mind).

Edited by v22TTC

I think this is just about the smartest thing GW could do (this of course means it probably isn't true). It would give them a great gateway game to snag new players, and it will delight all the bitter old skool GW players in the process.

I long ago gave up on all things GW. But if they were to re do Space Hulk I would pick it up in a heart beat. I certainly hope this is true, but I won't hold my breath.