Bob's Bozo Question (Resolution)

v22TTC

OK, I managed to upload a pic for the first time earlier (hurray! :) ) and it was kind of all good, given limitations of camera etc. For now I won't be messing with photo editing or anything much for the IPV entry, but....

1 Is the IP limit 250 or 300 KBs? Seems gallery is 300 generally....

2 [in small voice] Could someone please explain that whole resolution thing to me?

My image will be 800 x 600 pixels. So, I know you need higher resolution if you're going to blow a pic up for printing but I'm not. So is it best to take your photo in the highest resolution possible, given that it's going to be resized down to 800 x 600? (Consonant with being under the KB limit.)

I ask because I didn't think it would make any difference if you were reducing pic size, so went for the lowest resolution higher than 800 x 600 that my camera has (1024 x 768) and it came it in at 206 KB. But then I resized down to 800 x 600 and the KBs went up to 238 and the image went all pixelated... ummm I kind of expected the exact opposite to be the case... sigh....

You've all done me proud with my other questions, and this is my last `haven't a clue' barrier in the way of IP victory (;) ) so would love to know what the heck's going on, cheers! Won't resort to puppy dog face this time (though I'm certainly pulling one). ;)

I've gone ahead and set the limit overall at 300kb - should be more than enough for folks to work with overall I suspect.

As for photoshopping your photos, what I usually do is setup an 800 pixel wide blank (and make it tons longer than needed, like 3000 long), then play with moving the photos over and getting them to fit within the 800 wide frame. Sometimes I have to shrink the smaller picture overall, then move it, but that saves me trouble with pixelation and gets the mini at the size I'm wanting.

Rest of it, I'll leave the the photophiles around here.