Wyrd Steampunk Sorcerer

mozart

I'm finally getting around to posting this. I painted this up for the Gen Con 2007 painting competition. Obviously, I didn't place but I at least finally got something into a competition!

I would really appreciate some constructive criticism and critique. I have another one of these models that I'd like to paint using what I have learned over the past year and the friendly help of you fine folks :)

Thanks a bunch for looking!

GenConCompetitionModel001.jpg

GenConCompetitionModel004.jpg

GenConCompetitionModel005.jpg

I think making your shadows in the trenchcoat deeper would help here as well. I find that aiming to shadow almost to black and highlighting to almost white, helps a lot with making a mini look good. Of course you don't go that far, but the goal is basically to get you to push yourself to shade/highlight another step or two more than you normally would.

The shadows on the trenchcoat are fine, if you add another couple of highlights to the folds instead. A bit darker in a couple places would help, but dont go overboard. My recommendation would be to take your next darker color and put it on the underside of fold of fabric that is over his shoulders and work out from there with it. Do the same thing directly behind and under his travel bag as well.

Your glazing technique is working well on the clothes, but not as well on the skin tones. Your skin tones seem to have a shadow and a highlight but no midtone, and the underside of his hand seems to be the same color as the top of his hand where it's being hit by the blue light. This loses you some of the osl effect you're going for. Osl isnt just about casting the light, but also about casting the shadows.

For the little spider dude it looks like mostly you need to work on blending. As with the skin tones your lighter colors just dont have the same smoothness that your darker ones do.

Overall though I'd say the composition of the piece works well and you've got a good basis to build on.