Tristan the Loremistress

Jabberwocky

The dark skintone is very nicely done. The hair needs alot more attention to be honest. I feel by highlighting the crown area and having the area you had painted a white line as reflection in the shadow it would look more right?

Sorry for my bad english what I meant is that you have painted the highlights in the spot where the shadow should have been.

i would go online and take a look at model's with long hair and study how the hair actually reflects in some areas. this could help your hair. jeremie bonamant also taught me something about hair. do not drybrush it.....instead build it up in layers first then pick out certain areas that are lighter. i think this could help you in that area. break a leg. :)

The sidewayness of this sculpt's hair makes it not the easiest to suss out where the highlights and shadows are, and black adds to the difficulty again. Dennis Mize sculpts are usually pretty good for practicing hair, though. You're taking a good tack with the alternating bands of highlights and darkness, you just need to expand the idea a bit. And slightly offset the highlights on the various hanks of hair so it's not a really straight line. This is my take on that mini, though I'm not sure it's the best hair I've painted.

This is one with better hair that's probably a decent example of an approach to hair that can work with minis - brightest highlights around the crown but darker at the very top/part, then area of shadow under the crown highlights, then additional highlights on locks facing upwards and shades on the downward facing part. It took me a year or two to start getting hair I was happy with. Took me quite a while just to break myself of the desire to highlight by strands! If you get the chance, take the seminar Hair with Sue. She teaches it at Gen Con, also sometimes ReaperCon I think.