Polar Bear Chariot WIP

WolfDreamerNZ

In looking in my mini cupboard earlier today - I found this polar bear chariot I started just after Narnia came out - so you know how long it's been hanging around.

It is still in the very beginning stages - I am trying to decide if I want to strip the bears and redo in a non drybrushing method or if I think I can salvage it without losing detail...

The base is still one of my favorite bits - the snow has footprints and sled tracks and the bears are on ice. I am excited about getting back to this. And the little stowaway in the sled was a nice surprise.

polarbear1.jpg

polarbear2.jpg

sled1.jpg

God I love mini painting!! It's soooooo good to be back!

Guest Eastern Front Studios

Lisa the painting seems very good on the polar bears but the main problem with this piece as I have it also is the horrible gap that runs up the middle of the snow sled,also around the drivers base where hes inserted needing woodgrain remade and where the captive sits ..a definite must fix on the front though as it kinda concaves in.painting wise the bears are fine.

Lisa oh no that part is well I wouldnt say unfixable you could always add a fur or some such to hide it.. I meant the front of the snow sled..where the fancy carving runs..getting that smooth would be the biggie for me..I actually gave it to someone to fix for me when he comes over in a few days i will show you what he did.one thing about it also very annoying painting wise is the inside of the sled as you know is small and painting around the driver to say the inside back to the crates would be a aggrivating task..I think painting all you can then adding the driver fixing the boards((greenstuff)) and then finish painting is the easiest..this piece needs alot of prep work before starting but even though its really old its really well done.look forward to seeing you finish it up :)

this piece is actually based on Frank Frazetta's art work but I can see where the new Narnia would rekindle this old mini to new painters.;)..Im surprised someone hasnt done it yet ((cough gw cough cough))..isnt there a ice queen on a horse?..course after the LOTR not flying as expected they may stay away from movie/mini themes permanently.

I'm not sure about an ice queen on a horse but Reaper produced a standing ice queen I am using as my driver (as opposed to the Viking). The boys had nicked her as a role playing model and I have been looking for her everywhere. I haven't decided whether to lose the sword and add a whip or something else, leave her hand open, or just leave the sword.

icequeen1.jpg

icequeen2.jpg

Lisa, hmm thats a pretty good mini, maybe remove the sword and make the chains/ leashes come to her hand thats forward? her crosslegged pose looks sort of odd also for standing on something moving..also her scale isnt preportioned to the 25mm polar bears so shes going to look huge compared to them..just a few thoughts.

Lisa ok I started searching through my horde of grenadier ral partha and other 25mm to see if I can locate you something.there are some interesting standing thunderbolt mountain minis of females..like the lady of the lake, but slightly converting to a cold look would probably be a must.