callumrice WIP Iron painter 2

callumrice

I have now started my WIP for Iron Painter 2 - the revenge! Firstly can I apologise for the quality of the photographs, I will have to try get this sorted out before I send my final pic.

I have since painted a LOT more, but do not have any updated pics yet so this will have to do. Anyways, here we have a Telenaar Craftworld Pathfinder. I chose this model as the concept of a very experienced ranger roaming the galaxy for thousands of years lends itself well to the "weathered" theme. This though is hard to achieve when chosing a crisp clean figure such as an Eldar figure! Its a challenge though:thinking:

Right, well with the armour I started with an undercoating of black, then a mix of scorched brown and black, getting lighter each time, then a final highlight of scorched brown/vermin brown. Note that the right shoulder pad has been ripped (Id like to think that even though he is rather stealthy, so are genestealers!) and I have since painted it showing the rip as being more prominent.

His hair was undercoated black, drybrushed fortress grey then a mix of grey/white then a very thin wash of fortress grey, as it just didnt look right before I done this.

As regards the face, I wanted the skin looking old and grey, but still with a bit of fight left in him (if you know what I mean!) which was achieved with many layers built up from dwarf flesh right up to a mix of 1 part fortress grey 4 parts white. Note that with his introduction to a genestealer it wasnt just his shoulderpad that took a few rips! the scars were hard to make look realistic though but with red gore, fortress grey then 2 very thin washes of blood red/red gore this was achieved.

There aint much else finished on this model in these photos but when I post my update I will have more to say. Any questions please ask. What you think so far? (apart from you James!):ahhhhh:

post-439-1391192041105_thumb.jpg

I have now completed my entry but feel an update on how i got from where it was to where it is, is necessary.

Right, initially all that was done was the face and the undercloak armour. Starting with the cloak, it was undercoated catachan green, washed with a mix of C'chan green and black then highlighted and blended up, adding small portions of white each time to the mix. Probably around 8 coats in all. The bottom was then caked in greenstuff and spread thin in places and thicker in others to look like really sticky mud.

The boots and gloves were basecoated in red gore mixed with small amounts of black and simply highlighted in several thin coatings of red gore. This has come up really well and has given the effect of latex/rubber type industrial gloves.(i think!)

the gun was a nightmare. Knowing that this was the most eyecatching area of the model I knew it needed to be good, and after countless attempts at picking a colourscheme that worked (it was bright orange at one point!) I went for graveyard earth with a brown ink wash boldly highlighted in bleached bone into white. The scratches and divets were created with a light coat of black then boltgun metal followed by mithril silver (classic) and although I am not entirely happy with the outcome I think it looks ok.

The pack with all the gear on I cant really remember as I was almost sleep-painting last night to ensure it was finished on time!

All in all I am very happy with this model and the only complaints I have are the scratches on the gun (what is it that Im not happy about??!!!) and the red gem stones on his shoulderpad, after completing the gun I think these should be brown. Oh, and the backdrop for the model, all you rich lads have fancy back drops and light tents and stuff, Ive just got a shelf with glasses on and a kitchen light!

But this is a PAINTING comp, not a photography comp, ..... right??:heeeellll

post-439-13911920411698_thumb.jpg

post-439-13911920412124_thumb.jpg

post-439-13911920412381_thumb.jpg