WIP CAV pieces

Have had these sittin' around for a couple weeks, RL has prevented me from finishing or taking pictures 'till now.

The Tsuisekis were done as test models to show to my wife (they're hers) so she could pick which pattern she liked better. Also to test to see which wash concentration looked better. Still need to do some finishing touches like finish the underwing munitions and freehand some kind of invasion stripe on the rudders.

Tsuiseki01.jpgTsuiseki02.jpg

The Wolf tanks were done after she decided what she liked. These still need a wash and some drybrushing as well as some subdued insignia. I'm waiting until I get the camo pattern and other colors blocked in on all the minis so I can wash (and other details) them at the same time so I get a uniform appearance across the whole force.

(same tank, different angles, the other one looks similar though the pattern placement is different)

Wolf01.jpg

Wolf02.jpg

Had some primer issues with some of my models, sometimes it can be a real crapshoot out here in west Texas. Had a little bit of a problem with "chunkiness" in the prime coat. These aren't competition models and I decided it wasn't bad enough to require a Simple Green bath.

Everything except the black is Reaper Master Series Paint. Camo is Terran Khaki for the base, then Highland Moss and Muddy Brown. Honed Steel was used for metallic bits. The lenses on the tanks are Sky Blue. The cockpits on the Tsuisekis were highlighted with Ghost White (quickly becoming one of my favorite colors, I like the slight blue shade to it). Brown Liner was used for the wash.

On the case of the weapons, the way I'm doing it with this force is if the weapon appears to be in a housing it gets the camo pattern, if not, then Honed Steel.

What yall think?

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty then, managed to make some progress this weeken (WOOHOO!)

Yesterday when I started I had a Thunderbird, Starhawk V, and a Starhawk VI in need of the brown layer to the camoflague and Talon and two Naginatas in need of detail work. So I started in with the brown using the same technique that I used for the green. Again, when doing the third layer overlap the second in a few places. So I got those three done yesterday (had to go get family photos done).

This morning was detail time. I probably should've done a matte coat at this point but decide to forge on. First up was guns. I used MSP Honed Steel for guns with the barrels exposed, so the Talon and Tbird didn't get any metallic love. It took a couple coats, but the silver looks really good against the camo pattern, I'm glad mommiecrunch didn't let me talk her into using the Gunmetal Blue. I don't think it would've come out as good now. This is where assembling before painting really bit me in the butt. It was a real @#$@$ to get at parts of the barrels because the torso kept getting in the way. Unfortunately the primer issues I had diminish the shineyness of the metallics, but they still look good.

Hawk5-guns.jpgHawk5-guns2.jpg

Hawk6-guns.jpgHawk6-guns2.jpg

Nag-guns.jpg

Now it's time for the cockpits, muzzles, missile pods, and lights. Cockpits and muzzles (and the Hawk 5's missile pods) are Apple Barrel Black. The missiles are MSP Bright Red, and the lights and turret periscope on the Naginatas (kinda hard to see in the pic) are MSP Sky Blue. Let me tell you, those missile tips on the Hawk 6 are a major PITA when you've got shaky hands and a horse of a dog bumping the table. I think it took me four or five times before I was ok (not happy, just ok) with the results.

Hawk5-details.jpg

Hawk6-details.jpgHawk6-missilepod-detail.jpg

Nag-details.jpg

Talon-details.jpg

Tbird-details.jpg

These are all now ready for a Brown Liner wash. It'll probably be a while before I get to that as there are three more CAVs in primer, and a CAV and four aircraft still in the blister. Next post will be when they're all ready for the wash.

Like the planes a good bit. Not too hot on the tanks myself, and you'll hear folks saying there should be highlights and the like, but considering I've crawled over a bunch of tanks and helicoptors, lets just say that the painting is pretty spot on for being flat. :D

The more I think of it, the more I see a fundamental paradox in camo mini painting. Normally you want your mini to "pop" to be visually striking to the eye, so that every detail there and not there (the stuff in freehand) is clearly and beautifully presented to the eye. But the purpose of camo is to make sure that the object doesn't "pop" in the slightest. There's really nothing to see here ... these are not the tanks you are looking for ... move along. :laugh:

You've pretty much hit the problem on ther head tzor. I try to split the difference by using a camo pattern that breaks up the outline only somewhat and is still visually appealling. I'll darkline and use washes to establish depth, but not highlight. I find it works so far though not everyone agrees with me for some reason.

• 1 month later...

RL has been a real @#$@& of late, but I've been slowly chipping away at this army. Got the darklining done on the spots I want to make sure stand out after the wash which will be quite thin.

Darklining.jpg

(good lord the Falcon is a @#%$! to photograph)

Really all that's left is to touch up some spots and then give everything a thin wash.

Yeah, that's why the base isn't anything spectacular, just a mix of sand and different sized ballast, so I don't have to make major repairs after the wear and tear from being used sets in. I think it's a requirement for all mecha games to use hex bases, probably a holdover from the granddaddy of mech games, Battletech. They're for Reaper's CAV, now if they'd just get off their butts and publish the BEEP second version of the rulebook.

And here's an example of one of the Hawk V's after being washed. (Am I the only one who finds it mildly amusing that we give these things a wash to make them look dirty?) Got 'em all washed last night though I can tell that on a few I'm going to have to go back and take care of some pesky rings. The pic isn't the best, think I had my light too close.

wash.jpg

Next, bases.