My TTII Warpwolf

Here he is, in a few different shots:

img.1151834239151.jpg

img.1151834279709.jpg

img.1151834386638.jpg

I'm stuck in painter Hell, torn between the blend, which I do rather poorly and takes WAYYY more time than I have, and the Foundry method (as seen on my cowboy) that I love and that looks great on a table, but loses its effectiveness on models like this one.

Any ideas? As the lowest of the low on the Iron Painter, I feel like I could use some tips....

I think if you displayed this a bit differently you would find people would take to it a bit better and it would allow for it to be seen in a better light. Not tricks mind you, just displaying it different. Take a picture of the whole miniature, base and all, and then of course, several different views. I think that would have helped you in the contest to be honest.

I like everything about this piece except for the armor/metal. You've done a great job giving the warpwolf different colors on the coat and blocking them in either with other colors or black and bringing attention to them, particularly the white on the face and the lower ear as well as the chest with the brown and then the darker brown framing it. Great work there.

I'll leave others to give you advice on metals or NMM as frankly I'm not the best, but try taking some full pictures and picking a complimenting background or gradient and posting it here again. Betting it'll get a bit more praise.

Painters hell or not....I like your style and I always have....This one really shows it off well....effective, clean and brutal looking.

Of course, you can always try and broaden your horizons and try some different techniques....But why fix what aint broke.

Your a gamer aren't you? So, putting great looking figures on the table are probably your biggest goal....but like I said before, try some other techniques, and maybe you'll like them....

Remember a good camera helps, but then you need to learn how to use it because most cameras are not designed to automatically take detailed close up shots of very small items. You need a camera with a macro mode and manual settings to adjust the virtual f stops so that you get the entire mini in focus. A tripod is a must. A way to diffuse the light source is also a good thing to do, as well as having multiple ones.

When you have that, you discover, as I did, that your "friend" the camera becomes your bigest critic. "You missed a spot." "You call that detail?" "Did you make her crosseyed on purpose?" Yes, owning a good camera is a lesson in forgiveness. :)

I have a decent camera setup...A light diffusion tent, a tripod.

The camera even has a decent macro mode...but it is the F STOP (infinate focus) thing I cannot get working correctly....I have nothing on the camera that even indicates and F STOP....do I want a higher or lower number?

I have a decent camera setup...A light diffusion tent, a tripod.

The camera even has a decent macro mode...but it is the F STOP (infinate focus) thing I cannot get working correctly....I have nothing on the camera that even indicates and F STOP....do I want a higher or lower number?

Remember that F Stop is in one way a relic of manual photography, (where basically the photograph was controlled by focus, aperature opening, and shutter speed. You can find a number of good articles on CMON.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/411

Well the best way to explain this is if you took several pencils or other objects and lined them up one behind the other and you then focused your camera on the centre object, with a low aperture setting of say f/2.8 the objects in front and behind the centre object will be out of focus in the final picture. If the f/ number was changed to a higher number for instance say f/11 or greater then all objects would be in focus.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/130

This talks about an elph and uses "exposure" settings.