Good cyberpunk?

Books to read:

Neal Stephenson: "Snow Crash" (has one of the most badass evil guys I´ve ever seen)

William Gibson: "Idoru", "Virtual Light" and the short story collection "Burning Chrome" (this one includes "Johnny Mnemonic")

Marianne DePierres: "Nylon Angel", "Code Noir" and "Crash Deluxe" (Trilogy set in near future Australia, where the media control everything)

Jeff Noon: "Vurt" (That one is just strange ... )

You could also take a look at:

Joe Haldeman: "Forever Peace" (not strictly Cyberpunk. Story is about (US-american) people remote-controlling combat drones spending weeks in virtual reality. If I remember correctly. Has been years that I read that one ;-) )

Alastair Reynolds: "Chasm City". Chasm City is the second book in a five-book space opera series, but can definitely read independently. Very nice ideas about genemutation, nanomachine sickness and general societal decay. Story is limited to one planet (with some flashbacks to another planet).

Books to read:

Neal Stephenson: "Snow Crash" (has one of the most badass evil guys I´ve ever seen)

Best cyberpunk book ever.... It has all the elements (virtual worlds, software, hip tech, global conspiracy) but with more plot and characterization than Gibson ever threw at any of his works. Raven, the villain, is indeed amazingly badass. The vision of a future America broken into autonomous "burbclaves" who self-goven (withness the Disney and Thomas Kinkade planned communities), is the ultimate extrapolation on consumer culture. Mix in ancient religious mysteries, hipper-than-hip skate rats, heroic Mafiosos and you have a heck of a book!

Other things to consider that are "tangental", but contribute to the genre's development or hint at it's future:

Vernor Vinge -

"True Names" Short story. One of the earliest representations of what would later be called "cyberspace".

"Fast Times at Fairmont High" Short Story. On the other end of the spectrum a logical interpolation of what it may be like to be in high school when *everyone's* jacked into the net and the world has to create "technology free" zones... ;)

Don't forget genre films:

"Bladerunner" I can't say much that hasn't been said about this piece of cinematic art, but it pre-shadows much of what was to become "cyberpunk". Very 'post-modern' as the film majors like to say. ;) Two of the Rezolution minis (CSO Rangers IIRC) are sculpted to look like Dekker and Rachael.

"Circuitry Man" a low-budget 80's film with a beautiful cyberpunk sensibility. At one point the villain jacks into a car to drive it ;) Early cinematic views of cyberspace. Sarcastic, dystopian...

Other stuff -

Ghost in the Shell (anime movie or TV series.) Just give up trying to understand the plot. Watch the cool trappings.

Max Headroom - from the original British TV movie to the US series, it's all good.

Take care,

Laszlo

Thanks for all the help. Now at least I can begin...

Why has no one even come close to Blade Runner after all these years? Too slow? Too much to think about? I see movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious being made, and I want to lie down in a dark room.

I'm all for entertainment, but come on! Does it really have to be that mindless!?