AI and miniature painting as a hobby

Flib Jib

Hey fellow Malifaux painters!

I've been a fan of this amazing game for quite some time now, and one aspect I truly enjoy is the process of painting the miniatures. Recently, I stumbled upon the concept of using AI to generate renders for color combo ideas and inspiration, and I was curious if anyone in our community has given it a shot.

After being in the hobby for over a decade I more easily recognize my creative valleys. Sometimes when my creativity is drained I feel like all my recent models feel ‘samey’ and when searching for inspiration online I can’t escape the same popular collection of photos I’ve seen before. Randomly, I  thought about AI being a possible kickstart to boost me out of a rut.
Have any of you ever experimented with AI-powered software or tools to generate renders to help with color combo ideas or inspiration for your Malifaux miniatures or terrain? If so, I'd love to hear about your experiences and learn more about the resources you've used. Did you find it helpful in expanding your creativity and finding new color schemes?

I found myself going down a rabbit hole in the wee-hours of the morning thinking about future tools for the hobby. Perhaps there will one day be AI-driven platforms or applications that can analyze the miniature's details and recommend complementary level, time estimates, priming recommendations or contrasting color palettes. Imagine feeding an image of your favorite Malifaux character into a program that generates a range of color schemes specifically tailored to that miniature's unique features. Or on a broader level feeding it keywords and a favorite paint brand and getting specific color combos and which paint bottle to grab.  It could potentially save a lot of time and open up new avenues for experimentation.

Of course, traditional methods and personal intuition will always be invaluable, but it's intriguing to think about the potential AI could bring to our painting process. Don’t want to spark any bad feelings and really really want to refrain from any heated philosophical debates. (just a happy hobbyist wanting to hear the communities friendly thoughts/history)

So, fellow painters, have you ever explored the possibilities of using AI for Malifaux miniature painting? If you have any experiences, insights, or recommendations regarding AI-assisted painting or tools, would love to hear them.

flib_jib_malifaux_terrain_miniature_game_board_2095d989-bbbf-44f3-a939-b741577eaa05.png

flib_jib_malifaux_charicter_profile_picture_9da9cdea-b396-430c-a40d-60e25b6d4903.png

flib_jib_malifaux_charicter_profile_picture_44e98621-6094-4a01-b305-79d6c6b34819.png

flib_jib_malifaux_charicter_profile_picture_98b05ec7-0402-4dbe-a659-7d94964a5ce4.png

flib_jib_malifaux_charicter_profile_picture_986ee5a9-882e-4ef8-99be-8bcc0779177d.png

flib_jib_Malifaux_city_miniature_terrain_78f0df23-e6d4-4517-8b18-80c525bbe025.png

flib_jib_Malifaux_city_miniature_terrain_355c7279-9efa-4016-a271-60ae40d34471.png

flib_jib_malifaux_creature_rendering_art_twisted_macabre_Eerie_3ddb7765-18e3-4ae8-a2ec-f7707f7efdb9.png

flib_jib_malifaux_creature_rendering_art_twisted_macabre_Eerie_df0159a6-5a51-4d8a-a721-d3ac4d988dd1.png

flib_jib_malifaux_creature_rendering_art_twisted_macabre_Eerie_e7455502-dd85-4aad-8c8a-e06b97e161a6.png

flib_jib_malifaux_monster_twisted_dark_macabre_Eerie_nightmare__ab03db71-72c8-4242-a6d3-881d659e1d74.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the input.

Tbh, the more I think about the application of AI for miniature painting in the way as you describe it, the less likely I see it happen. AI requires one thing most of all: a ton load of data. And that simply isn't available (yet?) about our hobby. 

If you search for inspiration for the most popular brand in our hobby of miniature gaming/painting the number of results is surprisingly small. Too small for AI to do much about it that will lead to any helpful results. 

I'm also not too sure if I'd be too happy if any of such applications as it easily might increase the pressure on the actual creators. More digitilization in any way means more options for stealing the intellectual property of the companies creating our wonderful dollies. 

Using AI for creating themes and color swatches etc definitely might offer a huge numer of inspirations, though.