Business Time: Clocks out for Cojo - Huddersfield - 7th May 2023

GJ Yan

Hello wyrdos!

I will be running a ranked GG3 event at Powder Monkey in Huddersfield on 7th May 2023. There will be swag for all attendees as well as prize support in the form of a raffle and other goodies for podium, best painted and wooden spoon! Entry fee is £15, payable to obi-yan@hotmail.co.uk via PayPal Friends & Family. You can find the facebook even here: https://fb.me/e/32vmcrTRO. This event will use chess clocks, the rules for clock use are included in the Rules Pack (any issues with the rules pack let me know). If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact me (here or via other means). Please find the Rules Pack attached. The event is currently limited to 14 players (first come first serve) with a possibility of expanding to 16 if there is demand for it.

Attendees

1. Chris Graham
2. Jack Zissell
3. Chris P Bacon
4. Tom Panah
5. Courtney Murray
6. Dan Brown
7. Esme Grace
8. Radek Bry
9. Alyx Drake
10. Tom Kapel
11. Jim McKerchar
12. David Cameron
13. Ben Ault
14. Oz Goff
15. Jamie Astbury
16. Liam Stubbs

Thanks,

Yan

Business Time 7th May 2023 - Player Pack updated.pdf

After a lot of deliberations and discussions over the past two months, I have made the decision to not allow Madness of Malifaux content for this event, unless an errata is released prior to the event. It is not a decision I take lightly, however, I believe it is the right decision for a couple of reasons:

1. A large portion of the MoM content is very noticeably above the curve (by a relatively big margin). I have seen examples of players wielding Madness of Malifaux crews/models having a big advantage against other players of similar skill levels who have not been using the new models. Whilst the UK community is mostly very good at self-moderating when it comes to releases that are perceived as over-tuned, I would rather take that responsibility away from the players to ensure a fully consistent experience.

2. Because of the above point, the 'fun factor' has been significantly impacted. A lot of people I have spoken to have explicitly told me that the game is less fun when Madness of Malifaux models are involved and it negatively impacts the variety of crews used competitively (which I believe to be one of Malifaux's greatest strengths). As a TO, I believe it is my responsibility to ensure the game is as enjoyable as possible for as many players as possible and therefore simply cutting out a lot of these potential 'feel-bads' seems like the right decision.

In making this announcement, I fully realise there will be people who will disagree with this decision, and that's totally fine. I am under no illusion that simply excluding MoM content will solve everything. All I can do as TO is make decisions that I think will benefit the enjoyment of as many players as possible. If anyone has any questions, please do let me know via the usual channels or DM me if you prefer.

I will be updating the Rules Pack to reflect this in due course and will review my decision in the case of an errata. In the meantime, keep flipping cards and having fun!

Love,
Your TO - Yan

With less than 2 weeks to go, I thought I'd start ramping up the hype for this by giving you the Strategy and Scheme pools. The newer players who attended my last event fed back that getting the pools early meant they could familiarise themselves with the games in advance and as this will be the first event for most people using chess clocks, I want to cut down as much on setup time on the day as possible. Enjoy!

Round 1
Wedge - Guard the Stash
Assassinate, Sabotage, Load Em Up, Public Demonstration, In Your Face

Round 2
Flank - Carve a Path
Breakthrough, Vendetta, Leave Your Mark, Set the Trap, Secret Meetup

Round 3
Standard - Covert Operation
Breakthrough, Hidden Martyrs, Spread Them Out, Catch and Release, In Your Face

businesstime23pools.thumb.PNG.c1f952168c886e2059fe68681854a926.PNG