Starting player - Choosing the right Box

Jamadman

Hi All.
I've been interested in playing Malifaux for years and recently three friends have bought some core boxes so I am finally taking the plunge. the problem is I am having a hard choice between two starting boxes. 

Either English Ivan or Youko Hamasaki. Both have play themes I love the idea of, subterfuge and underhand dealings. 

I am reading Qi and Gong cards and thinking it might be a little technical for a new player, but still seems very fun and I don't mind a learning curve. My only7 worry is Qi and Gong keyword I like the look of in Ten Thunders, so if I ever take the plunge to become a serious player I don't think I would have many options i'd enjoy.

Ivan on the hand has a full range of models i'd be interested in from the other keywords. The one concerned I have is that he seems to stomp on one friend due to the match up and possibly just be a negative player experience. They are playing Colette who seems heavily focused on causing Distraction. While I know there is the argument that a good player will still be able to win the match up, we are just new. Am I over valuing what i've read about Ivan?

I was also tempted my Reva as a good middle ground but there is no stock in my country and waiting for the delivery would kill me.

Any words of advise before I take the plunge. 

If other TT keywords are not aesthetically appealing to you, then you should probably stick to English Ivan. In any case you should know that Youko's profile has been entirely reworked in the latest errata.

The way Malifaux is played is that players declare masters before they compose their crews. If your Colette (who was also heavily changed in the last errata btw.) friend knows what is coming (s)he has to adjust and pick other models. I understand that (s)he may not have a large collection yet, but the very nature of the game requires having at least some options. Having said that, Ivan is indeed a very strong master, and Colette used to be one of the strongest (not sure how she fares now after the nerf), but in competitive scene she was played mainly with models outside of her keyword, so if your friend stays mainly in keyword (s)he may get different impression (especially if you insist on playing the latest, i.e. nerfed, version of Colette's profile).

Anyway, I hope you will find the way to make the game enjoyable for everyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1