Starter Questions & Penny Dreadful

Kurtadam

Greetings people, 

This Saturday I am going to be running a one shot penny dreadful to a group of 4 players. None of us has played/run Through the Breach before. This is going to be a test game of whether we want to play a campaign in this or not. Of course, I have no experience with TtB system but I quite like the world. I want to choose a penny dreadful one shot that would best simulate the atmosphere of TtB. And preferably one with pregen characters at that. Currently I've been considering Sixteen Tons and Child of Flame. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions on the matter.

P.s: We don't want the adventure to be directly focused around Resurrectionists. 

I have another question regarding the rules this time. I will also ask it here so that it'd be more organized. So, how do you kill npcs over Enforcer rank if they automatically succeed their unconsciousness challenge? Do we keep imposing critical effects on them until something death related  comes up. Wouldn't that be like too long to kill one. Do we have to make them unconscious by other means? Depending on the flip they potentially may not fall unconscious for indefinite amount of time. How the heck do we kill those guys? :) Thanks.

57 minutes ago, Kurtadam said:

I have another question regarding the rules this time. I will also ask it here so that it'd be more organized. So, how do you kill npcs over Enforcer rank if they automatically succeed their unconsciousness challenge? Do we keep imposing critical effects on them until something death related  comes up. Wouldn't that be like too long to kill one. Do we have to make them unconscious by other means? Depending on the flip they potentially may not fall unconscious for indefinite amount of time. How the heck do we kill those guys? :) Thanks.

Human characters would likely succumb or surrender to critical injuries before a death effect comes up. Constructs and Undead on the other hand aren’t usually smart enough to know when to give up.

35 minutes ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

Do you think you would keep fighting if your lost one of your arms, a leg, and a lot of teeth?

I mean, you could if that was the only option out, you are relentless, you are crazy, you are enraged and so on. But the point is, mechanics wise, how do I kill an npc over Enforcer rank if I want to kill it?

2 hours ago, Kurtadam said:

But the point is, mechanics wise, how do I kill an npc over Enforcer rank if I want to kill it?

Mechanics wise is the unsatisfying answer of: When the FM says so.

For my table I have a personal preference for having an enforcer rank + die/taken out of combat when they suffer a lasting Severe Crit. Sometimes it's less than that, sometimes it's the big 22+ Severe crit of it raining bloody chunks; it depending on the mood I'm trying to set.

But yeah, a good FM will have an NPC die/taken out of combat when it makes sense to do so and every table is going to be different I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, The13Fates said:

Mechanics wise is the unsatisfying answer of: When the FM says so.

For my table I have a personal preference for having an enforcer rank + die/taken out of combat when they suffer a lasting Severe Crit. Sometimes it's less than that, sometimes it's the big 22+ Severe crit of it raining bloody chunks; it depending on the mood I'm trying to set.

But yeah, a good FM will have an NPC die/taken out of combat when it makes sense to do so and every table is going to be different I'm afraid.

That's a weird approach. We'll see how it plays at the table. Thanks for the answer!