Coming back to Malifaux

Hello all, 

I’m getting back into Malifaux after pretty much leaving the game in 1st edition after a particularly bad experience at the UK GT several years ago. 

So my question is, where do I start? I’m aware ME3 is coming (not sure on release dates etc) 

any advice will me much appreciated 

cheers 

The new edition has just been released (1 week ago, 28th June).

All the rules are available free to download. All the stat cards for existing models are also free to download. (if you don't still have your old models then they are still useful for you to look at to pick a master/crew).

This edition has focused more on thematic hiring (similar to Outcasts, or henchmen led games in first edition) in that you get to hire any model with the same keyword as your leader, and you can also hire models form the same faction that don't share a keyword but at a slight cost (+1 ss like the old mercenary cost). There are also a  few models with the versatile trait which don't cost +1 ss to hire.

What this means is that you can pick the master you like, and fairly quickly see the game recommended further purchases.  You can certainly look to expand outside your keyword, but as a starting point If you pick Lady Justice, you can start off just looking at other models with Marshall as a keyword to start your collection off, and not do too badly as you learn to play.

The standard games is 50 ss, but the model costs have gone up since 1st ed, meaning that your typical crew is still about the same size (6-8 models).

Other than that, the factions still have a similar feel to 1st ed, and most masters still have the same outwards appearance, but the way they do what they do may have changed (For example the dreamer still has nightmares appear from "nowhere" but he is now a summoner, rather than a master who buries and unburies models, so the "theme" has stayed the same but his rules of how he does it have changed. 

Your next step is to pick a master you want to play with.

Cheers  Adran for the info,

i used to use Pandora a lot (although I did own pretty much every Malifaux model leading up to the 1.5 release) and I still have her crew so would look at using them again but replacing the old models with new. Do you know if there’s a plan to do another 2 player starter set?