Cultivating and Recruiting local players.

morg59

The local malifaux scene here is really weak. I am wondering what we can do to recruit and then retain local players. For those that have a thriving community what did you have to do to get that going?  Any advice or recommendations that may help would be greatly appreciated. There are a few of us here that really would like to get the ball rolling but we are not sure how to do that.

I'm no expert as we still have a small.and new community here. A year ago there were a few people playing sporadically and now there are weekly game nights with 6+ players.

The biggest thing so far has been running local events. I've organized 2 tournaments and a league in 2017 so far and it has seemed to increase the focus and number of players. So far it has only recruited 3 new players and drawn another player back in but I'm hoping it will slowly grow over time.

I'm no expert as we still have a small.and new community here. A year ago there were a few people playing sporadically and now there are weekly game nights with 6+ players.

The biggest thing so far has been running local events. I've organized 2 tournaments and a league in 2017 so far and it has seemed to increase the focus and number of players. So far it has only recruited 3 new players and drawn another player back in but I'm hoping it will slowly grow over time.

• Like 1

Id suggest getting a few crews of different factions , maybe 4?(or 2 and the starter set might be a good option as they are easier models to play) That way you can have 2 30SS games going at once , if you have friends helping to promote it then so much the better , if possible have different crews , the more varied models you can show off the more chance of catching someones eye .

Paint everything , grey plastic doesnt attract attention very well

Good scenery also can really draw peoples attention , try and make sure its thematic as well , playing on 40k scenery for example is all well and good ,once your into the game ,but your trying to shove the steampunk vitorian era down peoples throats so they can properly appreciate it ;)

Some people just wont like the setting/rules , just mourn their loss for them and move on

Make sure people can get an eyeful of the card mechanics , most gamers have never seen it and it draws attention

You might notice a theme of drawing attention , so flashing neon pants and a massive hat could well work too , depends on the audience ;)

I will add that im no expert either , my groups not massive or anything but i think the games attractive and good enough to draw in most people ,once theyve spent a little time checking it out , so draw that attention , speak some sweet words and see how it goes!

I've grown my community from 1 to 12 over the past several months. Here's what's worked for me--every situation is different of course and YMMV.

1. Find the LGS in your area that caters to minis players and that minis players hang out at.

2. Run demos there as often as possible. Weekly is best but even every 2 weeks is good if it's consistent. Talk to the locals about the games they play. If others are running demos and you're slow play their demo. Early on it's about building connections. When not demoing play full games in the store with your friends--you want people to see you having fun and they need assurance that if they buy in they'll have people to play with.

3. Run an Event within the first 2-3 months. Advertise that you'll have crews to loan out to new players. Get as many existing players as possible locked in to come to build your numbers. Give out a ton of loot for this first event. You want your participants to have a great time and be seen having a great time. Display the awards and loot prominently.

4. Repeat step 2. Make sure your demos are fun and appealing and give it time. Most players now active in my area first told me they liked the game but didn't have the time or money for another minis game. 

Good luck and feel free to ask for help or questions.

• Like 1