Misaki, Hidden Agenda and Oiran

Shintoninja

Hello again my dear Ten Thunder Brothers,

I have yet again another ponderance to put to the masses.

Your opinions always interest me and I promise not to call you mama fat if we disagree. 

That being said what do people think about the use of Misaki having the Hidden Agenda Upgrade and having  multiple Oiran in LoS?

Misaki and Oiran have the same movement stats so they can keep up with each other. 

Oiran can use Disguise to block charging lanes towards Misaki while not being charged themselves.

Lure could be used to draw targets nearer. 

If any one is going to score a hit it is Misaki.  

Misaki Driving Charge works great with other model cover her defensively.

After scoring a hit who wouldn't benefit from having anywhere from 1 to 3 models possibly more each having fast and focused for the round. 

I know from experience Misaki can score a hit each round with the right positioning.

Of course Sensei Yu will be around for  double pushes. But then isn't he ever not around?!

So let me know what you think? 

What could be better? Who else could better? What else would work well in this combo? 

The problem with Oiron's lure is that they don't have all the suits built in so you will very often need to cheat to get it off at all. You might have enough cards to keep one luring Oiran going, but with more it's quite unlikely.

If you don't want Misaki to get charged giving her the Disguised upgrade is going to be a lot more reliable, and combined with the errata making Deadly Dance a (0) it can get tricky to attack Misaki with close attacks at all.

I guess Oiron can be used as a cheap minion to throw smoke bombs if you don't want anyone to be able to shoot at her either. :)

The smoke bomb part never really occurred to me. Definitely a plus if I took S&S. 

As for Disguise, it is something I generally don't take.  Many just a style thing I guess. Though with the new errata it certainly has more appeal.  

Hidden Agenda on the right target is a hell of an upgrade.  To be able to give all Oiran with in LoS focused and fast.  I'm certainly going to utilize the extra AP to finish off Misaki's target, Provide cover for Misaki's early activation, and engage new possibile targets.  The focus just adds to the possibility of success.  

The lure is in all fact of the matter an after thought not a focus.  It could have its placed against low WP minions.  

Let me preface this by saying I love the Oiran, and I often field one in my lists... despite my following commentary...

I would say the bigger issue is that an Oiran is 5pts.  And for that point cost you can hire a 10T bros or a Yokai.

In regards to the upgrade, I tend to bring the emissary, so I almost always have hidden agenda for them to benefit from. But fast and focused aren't necessarily awesome on a model that has no consistent capabilities. You can try fishing for that crow you need for the lure, but that's a beggar's gamble. Her damage track is pathetic... but at least the focus allows one of your attacks to maybe do a couple of points. I see two areas where Oiran can live:

Tarpit

They are super cheap, minion tarpits. Decent Df and WP with a bonus +1 when they go defensive. And disguise. Combined with their don't hit me trigger... they can lock down a pretty sizeable model with proper positioning. They have a large charge range, so giving them fast gives them a threat range of 14".

But again, you need a suit for No Witnesses to trigger. So you can't rely on it unless you have the card in hand. At melee 5, that means you have to be careful what you target as well.

Support Scheme Runner

My favorite place for them: +1 WP aura and scheming . Fast allows them to move 10" to drop a scheme marker. Or drop, move drop. That's pretty good, maybe even better now. And against certain factions (looking at you Neverborn) that +1 WP bubble is HUGE.

Unfortunately, when you weigh the pros and cons together, you are running a gamble with the Oiran to get it's full potential. When it works, it's stellar, but it's not consistent enough to build a list around. For my money, I'd still rather take the yokai (who effectively get 3AP a turn) or the 10T Bros. But if you are set on Misaki with a few Oiran, there's worse places to put it then on her. I actually prefer it on a ranged enforcer or henchman, because then I can get it off faster. But Misaki is usually up in someone's grill turn one, so...

• Like 2

The smoke bomb part never really occurred to me. Definitely a plus I'd I took S&S. 

As for Disguise, it is something I generally don't take.  Many just a style thing I guess. Though with the new errata it certainly has more appeal.  

Hidden Agenda on the right target is a hell of an upgrade.  To be able to give all Oiran with in LoS focused and fast.  I'm certainly going to utilize the extra AP to finish off Misaki's target, Provide cover for Misaki's early activation, and engage new possibile targets.  The focus just adds to the possibility of success.  

The lure is in all fact of the matter an after thought not a focus.  It could have its placed against low WP minions.  

6 hours ago, InvokeChaos said:

Let me preface this by saying I love the Oiran, and I often field one in my lists... despite my following commentary...

I would say the bigger issue is that an Oiran is 5pts.  And for that point cost you can hire a 10T bros or a Yokai.

In regards to the upgrade, I tend to bring the emissary, so I almost always have hidden agenda for them to benefit from. But fast and focused aren't necessarily awesome on a model that has no consistent capabilities. You can try fishing for that crow you need for the lure, but that's a beggar's gamble. Her damage track is pathetic... but at least the focus allows one of your attacks to maybe do a couple of points. I see two areas where Oiran can live:

Tarpit

They are super cheap, minion tarpits. Decent Df and WP with a bonus +1 when they go defensive. And disguise. Combined with their don't hit me trigger... they can lock down a pretty sizeable model with proper positioning. They have a large charge range, so giving them fast gives them a threat range of 14".

But again, you need a suit for No Witnesses to trigger. So you can't rely on it unless you have the card in hand. At melee 5, that means you have to be careful what you target as well.

Support Scheme Runner

My favorite place for them: +1 WP aura and scheming . Fast allows them to move 10" to drop a scheme marker. Or drop, move drop. That's pretty good, maybe even better now. And against certain factions (looking at you Neverborn) that +1 WP bubble is HUGE.

Unfortunately, when you weigh the pros and cons together, you are running a gamble with the Oiran to get it's full potential. When it works, it's stellar, but it's not consistent enough to build a list around. For my money, I'd still rather take the yokai (who effectively get 3AP a turn) or the 10T Bros. But if you are set on Misaki with a few Oiran, there's worse places to put it then on her. I actually prefer it on a ranged enforcer or henchman, because then I can get it off faster. But Misaki is usually up in someone's grill turn one, so...

Wow! Thanks this is one of best best pieces of advise I have recieved on this forum.  

Concise, and informative. 

The things that are excalty why I want to run them.  Especially the tarp pit.   Block lines of site to Masaki.  

• Like 1