Malipho'enix Mah Tucket vs. the Viktoria's

thecapopriest

The city board that we are playing on was created by KrazyIvan and he has a post all about making it here.

P7220118_zpsuyhegdec.jpg

This is a 50 soulstone game of Malifaux played at Tempe Comics as part of the Malipho'enix group.

Outcasts vs. Gremlins.

Deployment: Close

Strategy: HeadHunter

Schemes: Convict Labor, Leave Your Mark, Exhaust Their Forces, Mark For Death, and Public Demonstration.

Gremlin List: Mah Tucket with Know The Terrain, On Yer Tip Toes, and Hide In The Mud, The Little Lass with Lead Lined Apron, Mancha Roja with Stilts, Trixiebelle with A Gun For A Lady, Sammy Lacroix, 2 Lightning Bugs, and a Slop Hauler. Soulstone Cache of 5.

So my idea with this list was to rely on killing enemy models in melee instead of shooting so that I can pick up the head markers afterwards. Mancha Roja and Mah Tucket where going to be my heavy hitters while Trixiebelle used Gremlin Lure to push the opponents models away from the Head Markers so other models could easily pick them up. Sammy Lacroix I would use in a similar fashion by giving the condition Twisted Legs on models who could potentially grab a Head Marker to stop them from being able to walk. The Slop Hauler and 2 Lightning Bugs where for Public Demonstration and just in general being good minion choices. 

Outcasts List: Viktoria of Ashes with Sisters In Spirit, Sisters In Fury, and Synchronized Slaying, Viktoria of Blood with Mark of Shez'uul, and Oath Keeper, Student of Conflict, Johan with Oath Keeper, Taelor, Vanessa, and Freikorps Librarian. Soulstone Cache of 7.

Gremlins Schemes: Exhaust Their Forces and Public Demonstration.

Outcasts Schemes: Mark For Death and Exhaust Their Forces.

Gremlins won deployment flip and had Outcasts deploy first and choose sides.

P7220120_zpsrbqfuz0f.jpg

Outcasts Deployment left to right: Johan, Freikorps Librarian, Viktoria of Ashes, Viktoria of Blood, Taelor, Student of Conflict, and Vanessa.

P7220121_zpsu56mpirq.jpg

Gremlins Deployment left to right: Lightning Bug, The Little Lass, Trixiebelle, Slop Hauler, Lightning Bug, Mah Tucket, Mancha Roja, and Sammy Lacroix.

P7220124_zpslitnu2e4.jpg

Outcasts won initiative and had the Gremlins go first.

Trixiebelle attempted to Gremlin Lure Viktoria of Ashes twice and failed both times.

P7220127_zpsxwp6zaum.jpg

Vanessa activated and used Intuition to rearrange the top 3 cards on her fate deck. She then walked forward and then discarded a card to go Defensive.

Lightning Bug with the green flame double walked.

P7220129_zps637yc0kt.jpg

Student of Conflict did her 2 action Assist to give the Fast condition to Taelor.

Lightning Bug with red flame double walked forward.

P7220130_zpstjwrbsq2.jpg

Freikorps Librarian walked and then shot the Lightning Bug with the red flame doing weak damage of 2. The Lightning Bug has 4 health left.

P7220133_zpshng5c5ae.jpg

The Little Lass double walked.

P7220135_zps7uubi2pb.jpg

Taelor with Fast walked out of the building and then charged the Lightning Bug. First attack missed but the second hit doing weak damage of 3. The Lightning Bug has 3 health left.

P7220138_zpsbtwnezto.jpg

Sammy Lacroix walked forward and discarded a card to go Defensive.

P7220139_zps1m9eslnb.jpg

Johan charged the Lightning Bug and killed him with the first attack due to moderate damage. Johan is actually on the ground, the model just didn't fit under the second story.

P7220142_zpsvz5bi194.jpg

Mah Tucket did Horrible Hollerin' to the Slop Hauler and pushed him 5". She then attempted to do the same to Mancha Roja and the Lightning Bug but failed to hit the target number 11 both times and had no cards to cheat in.

P7220143_zps8n9m1yof.jpg

Viktoria of Ashes shot at the Lightning Bug twice, not needing to randomize because Taelor was outside of 2", missed the first time but killing it with moderate damage on the second. She then shot the Little Lass but missed due to Red Joker on defense.

P7220145_zpso45ivz9y.jpg

Slop Hauler double walks.

P7220147_zps5s41lhuk.jpg

Viktoria of Blood used Desperation from her upgrade Oath Keeper to gain fast and discard the upgrade. She then walked out of the building and charged the Slop Hauler killing it.

Mancha Roja double walked forward. In case anyone is wondering, all the enemy models where outside of my 10" threat range, he would lose 3" of movement through the severe terrain.

End of first turn, no points scored.

So looking at this turn you might have noticed that I kept throwing my minions recklessly into the middle of the board. I had become way to single minded in my pursuit of scoring on Public Demonstration quickly. I should have at bare minimum given up on scoring that scheme on that turn after the second Lightning Bug got slaughtered and kept my Slop Hauler back in relative safety.

P7220148_zpsxp5bbr6a.jpg

Turn 2.

Outcasts won initiative but Gremlins cheated in a ram card to get the chore for +1 melee.

Viktoria of Ashes activated and used her tactical action Sisters in Fury, granted to her by the upgrade of the same name, getting the target number and giving herself and all friendly sister models +2 damage on melee attacks. She then did the action Sisters in Battle, granted to her by Synchronized Slaying, to give her and all friendly sister models a positive twist to attack flips. Then she walked forward to be in Accomplice range of Viktoria of Blood.

P7220151_zpsllo0cdue.jpg

Viktoria of Blood charged Mancha Roja hitting him twice and doing weak damage of 5 each time. Mancha Roja soulstoned the damage down both times, reducing the first attack by 1 and the second by 2, leaving Mancha Roja with 3 health left. She also got the trigger Whirlwind being able to attack and kill the Little Lass with weak damage that ignores armor due to the ability Tattoo of Shez'uul, granted from the upgrade Mark of Shez'uul. Mah Tucket than had Lead Lined Apron attached to her.

P7220156_zpsdictlxsm.jpg

Mah Tucket activated and discarded a card for her 0 action Let Mah Handle This to push into base contact with Trixiebelle and then pushed Trixiebelle. Then due to the upgrade Know The Terrain Mah Tucket charged through the building at Viktoria of Blood. The first attack hit and did 3 damage due to weak which was then soulstoned to prevent damage down to 2. The second attack hit and did weak damage of 4 due to the trigger Critical Strike but was Soulstoned and flipped the Red Joker getting rid of all of the damage. The last action she did Aim For The Sore Spots and got the crow trigger Thwap!, but that generated attack missed.

Johan used Desperation from Oath Keeper to gain fast. He then walked around the building and charged Mancha Roja, missing the first attack and hitting with the second which Mancha Roja used Abandon Stilts to reduce the damage to 0.

Mancha Roja walked forward to Viktoria of Ashes and attacked twice missing both times.

Student of Conflict then did Sisters in Spirit to place Viktoria of Blood in base contact.

P7220157_zpso3nszclc.jpg

Trixiebelle went Reckless and shot Johan doing moderate damage of 4 and getting the trigger There Goes A Leg! giving him Slow. She then pushed back 3" being out of range so she walked forward and shot again. She did 4 damage with moderate and got the trigger Help Her Up pushing Mancha Roja up against the ruin. Johan survived due to Hard to Kill.

Vanessa activated and used Intuition to rearrange the top 3 cards of her fate deck. She then did her 2 action The Ley Stone Unleashed and healed moderate damage of 3 for herself and all of the other sisters due to her ability Fates Entwined.

P7220159_zpsi6dko1ol.jpg

Sammy Lacroix did her attack Jynx against Johan hitting and killing him. She then walked over to the head marker.

P7220161_zpsgyr34wyr.jpg

Taelor charged Mancha Roja and hit with the first attack which was reduced by 1 damage taking 2 damage from weak. Mancha Roja has 1 health left.

Librarian walked forward and shot Sammy Lacroix but missed.

End of turn 2 no points scored.

P7220163_zpsoes3zxcg.jpg

Turn 3

Gremlins won initiative.

Mancha Roja walked towards Taelor and hit her 2 times each doing 2 damage and the trigger Pile Driver which she passed the target number 12 defense duel both times.

Viktoria of Ashes did Sisters in Fury for +2 damage in melee and Sisters in Battle to gain a positive twist to attacks. She then shot at Sammy Lacroix and missed. 

Viktoria of Blood then activated through Accomplice and charged Mancha Roja killing him on the first attack. She then attacked Mah Tucket with her melee expert and did severe damage of 8.

Mah Tucket charged Viktoria of Ashes hitting her 2 times dealing 4 damage from weak and the critical strike trigger and 3 damage from weak. Both attacks where soulstoned down by 1 so she had 5 damage on Viktoria of Ashes leaving her with 2 health. Last attack missed.

Vanessa did her 2 action the Ley Stone Unleashed and healed all the sisters 3 damage.

Trixiebelle went Reckless and double walked to a head marker and picked it up. She then did her 0 action Buy You A Drink? at Taelor but failed to hit the target number.

Taelor charged Trixiebelle but missed both attacks.

Sammy Lacroix tried to walk away from Taelor but failed. She then did Jynx at Taelor doing 2 points of damage.

P7220166_zpsd4ny4pcq.jpg

Student of Conflict walked and the used Sisters in Spirit to place Victoria of Ashes.

P7220167_zps9pwnisv3.jpg

Librarian did Furious Casting at Mah Tucket. First attack missed, the second would have hit but Mah used her upgrade On Yer Tip Toes discarding the upgrade and reflipping the attack, which missed, the third attack hit and did weak damage of 2 reduced down to 1 due to Lead Lined Apron.

End of turn 3 Gremlins score 1 from Trixiebelle picking up a head marker.

Gremlins 1 to Outcasts 0

P7220170_zpsoo0wogdp.jpg

Turn 4

Gremlins win initiative with a tome for the chore which makes it so when a Gremlin dies draw a card.

Mah Tucket charged Viktoria of Ashes hitting with both attacks and killed her. She then attacked Viktoria of Blood doing weak 3 damage to her . She then did her 0 action to push into base contact with Trixiebelle then pushed Trixiebelle in any direction up to 6".

Taelor activated and marked Mah Tucket for death and then attacked her doing weak damage of 2 after armor from Lead Lined Apron. Mah Tucket has 1 health left.

Trixiebelle went reckless and shot into melee targeting Viktoria of blood. I made a big mistake here, I realized I only randomized the first shot then forgot to randomize the other 2, just got caught up in the moment I guess. With that in mind I missed all 3 attacks at Viktoria of Blood.

P7220171_zpse3kk2kkm.jpg

Viktoria of Blood attacked Mah Tucket and did severe damage killing Mah and scoring for Mark For Death. She also healed 1 point of damage from her ability Into The Fray that heals her 1/2/3 after her first kill in her activation. She then picked up a Head Marker.

Sammy Lacroix walked away from combat with Taelor due to Taelor flipping the Black Joker. She then picked up a Head Marker.

Librarian walked and picked up a Head Marker.

P7220173_zpsl7jrvwuy.jpg

End of turn 4. Gremlins score 1 from Headhunter. Outcasts score 2, 1 from Mark For Death and 1 from Headhunter.

Gremlins 2 to Outcasts 2.

P7220175_zpsib6oqo4m.jpg

Turn 5 

Gremlins won initiative.

Trixiebelle went Reckless and double walked then Exhausted the Librarian.

Vanessa shot at Sammi Lacroix twice, first time getting weak damage of 2 and the second getting Red Joker damage of 6 killing Sammi Lacroix outright.

Taelor then charged the Freikorps Librarian killing it on the second attack.

Viktoria of Blood then picked up a Head Marker.

End of turn 5 

Outcasts score 1 off of Headhunter.

Outcasts 3 to Gremlins 2.

Outcasts scored 2 on Headhunter and 1 on Mark For Death, 0 for Exhaust Their Forces.

Gremlins scored 2 for Headhunter and 0 for Exhaust Their Forces and Public Demonstration.

Overall that was a super intense game, in the beginning of the game I feel I was just to comfortable with putting my minions out front in the hopes of scoring on Public Demonstration. The Outcast crew having such a great damage output really set the pace for the game.

I think that Mah Tucket really did some good stuff in this game. I really liked the fact that when I was really hesitant to join the bulk of the fight in the first turn that she still is theoretically very useful with her pushing actions, though I had bad flips and no cards saved this time. She also is pretty deadly herself and from here on out I plan to take her with max cache of 7 in each game.

Mancha Roja was really helpful in the first turn by making a swath of 10 inch area a dead zone for the opposing models. However my opponent effectively reduced the danger Mancha Roja has by maintaining him at 3" reach so every turn I had to spend an action to walk to get into melee range, making 1 missed attack much more detrimental to my overall damage output.

Unfortunately Sammy and Trixie really didn't get to mess with the other models as I was hoping to, primarily because I always had to activate someone else as fast as possible before they died.

This was definitely a nail biter of a game all the way to the end. 

Like always any advice or pointing out rules mistakes is greatly appreciated. Hope you enjoy the battle report.

• Like 1

Wow, what a great report!  I love the terrain and painted miniatures; the pictures make it really cleat what is going on.

It seemed that you both got really caught up in just killing each others models and forgot about scoring.  I'm not familiar enough with Gremlins to comment on the crew composition, but I think that the Outcast crew would really have benefited from taking a slightly less elite crew so they'd have someone around to actually pick up the heads that the Viks, Taelor et al are scattering about the place.

23 minutes ago, Argentbadger said:

Wow, what a great report!  I love the terrain and painted miniatures; the pictures make it really cleat what is going on.

It seemed that you both got really caught up in just killing each others models and forgot about scoring.  I'm not familiar enough with Gremlins to comment on the crew composition, but I think that the Outcast crew would really have benefited from taking a slightly less elite crew so they'd have someone around to actually pick up the heads that the Viks, Taelor et al are scattering about the place.

We both got into a situation where we were worried that even one guy not contributing to the fight could lead to being completely tabled. Also we both where new to these particular masters, it was his first try with the Viktorias and my second game with Mah Tucket. But I agree after looking at the game we both should have done just a little bit more to score points.

I'm glad you liked the battle report and thanks for the feedback.

6 hours ago, Argentbadger said:

...but I think that the Outcast crew would really have benefited from taking a slightly less elite crew so they'd have someone around to actually pick up the heads that the Viks, Taelor et al are scattering about the place.

I was playing the Viks in this report, and I agree with you. This was my first game with them though and I was more worried about learning their mechanics than playing the objective. So I tried to limit the Gremlin's ability to score instead. Worked out this time, but probably wouldn't have had my opponent played a Master is more familiar with like So'mer.

• Like 2