My First Tournament (ever!): Advice with Pandora

El_Commi

Hey guys!

Well I've been palying Malifaux for just about a year now. Mostly with my partner and a friend. I've played Warhammer for 15 ish, but in all this time I've never played at a tournament.

All that is about to change! I have my first ever Tournament this Saturday! As I have no idea how some of the new schemes etc work, I figured I'd ask you guys for some help in choosing them and a list I can bring (based on the models I own!)

So, here's what I have; *edit* I only have the cards that come with these models. So no 'fears given forms' :(
Pandora
Poltergeist,
3 sorrows.
Baby Kade,
Candy
Doppleganger,
Primordial Magic
Widow Weaver.
Angel Eyes
Scion of Black Blood
2 Blood Wretches.
Dr. Grimwell,
Nurse Heartsbane
2 orderlies

(Unpainted but assembled. Would rather avoid using these if possible as I'd like to play with a fully painted crew ;p)

Jacob Lynch
Hungering Darkness
3 illuminated.

The schemes we'll be running with are:

Standard GG2016 format:
Round 1
Reconnoiter, Flank Deployment
Convict Labor
Take Prisoner
Set Up
Hunting Party
Show of Force

Round 2
Extraction, Standard Deployment
Convict Labor
Hunting Party
Exhaust their Forces
Mark for Death
A Quick Murder

Round 3
Collect The Bounty, Close Deployment
Convict Labor
Show of Force
Leave your mark
Covert Breakthrough
Frame for Murder

Pandora and her crew box is what I have experience with. I've yet to try most of the others aside from the starter set contents.

So.. what would you guys suggest? :D

Just ran a tournament myself with Pandora.  I've only had Pandy for about a month, but I came in third, so was pretty happy with that.  

Widow Weaver is a great addition to that crew.  Being able to throw out web markers as a zero action (IIYC) will really take its toll on your opponents crew when it comes to will power duels.  I mostly ran Pandy as a brawler, so the Sorrows are necessary to get the damage up to respectable amounts.

The poltergeist i used once and then never again.  He seems good on paper, but his aura is too low to reliably use.

Candy is good for the healing factor.  I park her just behind Pandora and use her to top off Pandy when Martyr gets used.

Baby Kade was pretty useful.  If you add the upgrade that allows him to add the suit of a discarded card (cant remember what its called right now), he can easily get flay or sweetbreads with the right cards.  He syncs very well with Teddy, so if you can get one of those, do it.  He's a good beater.

I'll give you as much info as I can on the S&S, but I don't remember everything, and I'm about to leave the house as it is.

The scheme that I used most often was convict labor.  Getting 3 markers down is possible, even on turn one if your crew is pretty quick.  On flank deployment, I got it on turn two.

Extraction wasn't too hard.  Move Pandy as close to the center as possible, then Misery Loves Company your Sorrows to her, then walk 3 inches ahead.  It creates a nice barrier.  Sorrows are fairly simple to kill, but your opponent knows what will happen if they get caught in that aura come Pandoras turn.  If you manage to win the turn, move the marker back, then just start moving the sorrows back to pandy, and then shift pandy back a little.  If you need a visual for what I'm describing, look up bounding overwatch.

With Collect the Bounty, I kept my Sorrows back around Pandy, and let Teddy and Baby Kade do some work.  The Sorrows are a bit squishy, so don;t let your opponent get some easy points.  

Hope that helps.  Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Depends on the way you run Pandora.  If you use her for the paralyze strategy, then they aren't super necessary.  If you run her as the WP dueling type, then they are.  As long as they are sorta close to Pandora, she can use martyr to take one wound for them per attack.  Let Pandora take a couple wounds from them, then use Candy to patch her up.  

• Like 1

ive generally run her using incite a lot. But the positioning game is a bit tricky. 

I need to pick up the box with "Fears given form" and Iggy as far as I've gathered. 

Do I use the doppelgänger to run schemes? And should I take 3 sorrows..? 

If I run Pandora as the brawler type, then I typically take all 3 sorrows.  If gives me the extra hits to will power duels, plus I can have some cheap activations.  

The Doppelganger I don't have, so I'm not a subject matter expert on her.  I believe that she could be used as a scheme runner, but you would want to use her abilities to copy special actions instead.

Fears given form is a nice upgrade...sometimes.  It also requires that your own models take the DF 14 duel if they are within her melee range, so be aware.  If you use brawler Pandy, then its an extra chance to screw your opponent over, but requires you to be extra careful with your own models.  

If I use paralyze Pandora, then I take it as a form of defense, since she can't take The Box Opens which has the Terrifying duel with it.  It's a little easier with this strategy since she isn't relying on having her crew near her.  It doesn't sync as well since its a DF duel (so no free push, no extra damage from Sorrows), but it still forces a card flip or cheat that they could have used against me.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips! 

Im going to have a read over the schemes tonight and settle oh which ones I want, then build a list. 

Im quite looking forward to it, should be fun! All I have left to paint is the primordial magic now, I've done a vase coat, but not sure how I want to paint it, so I've stalled for a bit :P 

So, I ran with;

Pandora (The box opens), 3 Sorrows, Poltergeist, Candy (Depression), Widow Weaver (Handbag), Bloodwretch for all 3 games. As I wanted to try get a feel for it.

Poltergiest didnt really earn his points imo. He was too tricky to get much use out of. Widow Weave made some nice moves, but went down very quickly. The bloodwretch probably scored me the most VP's across all games.

I placed third from last, and did have a lot of fun and learned a good deal. I think I need a lot more games in with Pandora though, and to get a few more lower cost models to really target some schemes. I felt she was too reliant on getting everyone placed right that often it felt I was focusing on her crews position than I was on scoring points. I guess that'll become easier with more familarity though.

Now I need to get some games in before the next tournament :P

*Edit; a picture of the crew, minus the bloodwretch.*13417617_10157191323860724_3039276565294

• Like 1