Gremlins vs. Arcanists 40 Point

thecapopriest

This was a game I played at Empire Games for the Malipho'enix league.

P2190003_zps0phfxonp.jpg

This was a 40 point game between Gremlins and Arcanists. 

We had Close Deployment. 

The strategy was Reconnoiter and our schemes where Assassinate, Protect Territory, Take Prisoner, Outflank, and Line in the Sand.

My Gremlin Crew was lead by Brewmaster with Liquid Bravery and Binge. The rest of the crew was the Whiskey Golem with Angry Drunk, 3 Lightning Bugs, Apprentice Wesley, and Lucky Effigy. Cache was 7 soulstones.

Rasputina with Decembers Pawn lead the Arcanist Crew. The rest of the crew was the Ice Golem, 3 Ice Gamin, Decembers Acolyte, Wendigo, and a Silent One. 

Gremlins reveal no schemes. For Gremlin schemes I chose Assassinate and Outflank. Arcanists reveal both schemes, Line in the Sand and Assassinate. Normally there is no advantage or point to revealing Assassinate, but the league gives points for revealing both schemes or not revealing either scheme.

I win Deployment flip and have Rasputinas crew deploy first.

From left to right Rasputinas crew deployment: Ice Gamin, Ice Golem, in the far front right behind thepillar is Decembers Acolyte, further back next to the tree is an Ice Gamin, than behind him is Rasputina, Windigo, Silent One, and the last Ice Gamin.

P2190006_zpshpvv9gfz.jpg

Gremlin deployment left to right: Lightning Bug behind the cemetery, Lightning Bug, Lightning Bug, Whiskey Golem, Lucky Effigy, Brewmaster, and Apprentice Wesley.

P2190007_zpsbs9islmk.jpg

Left to right: Lightning Bug, Lightning Bug, Whiskey Golem, Lucky Effigy, and Brewmaster.

P2190010_zpsdhh6hk2r.jpg

Arcanists won initiative and chose to go first.

December Acolyte activate and shoots the Lightning Bug twice doing a total of 4 damage, giving the Lightning Bug slow, and getting the trigger Pull and Drag on the second shot.

The slow Lightning Bug then activates and attacks the December Acolyte doing 2 damage and getting the trigger To The Kneecaps giving the December Acolyte slow. Then he does his 0 action Tinkerin' With The Unknown putting a mask card face down under his stat card. For those who do not know what that action does you put a card from your hand face down with the stat card and at the end of the turn depending on the suit it does different effects. Masks does a 3 inch pulse and all models must pass a TN 12 Walk duel or gain slow.

P2190012_zpsykpidvhe.jpg

Ice Gamin activates and walks forward then shoots the Whiskey Golem missing the shot.

Lightning Bug activates and goes Reckless. He walks forward and shoots the Ice Gamin twice and missing both times. He then does his 0 action Leave it to Luck but fails to get his target number of 13.

P2190015_zpsi7xdovj6.jpg

Rasputina shoots 3 times at the Lightning Bug through the Ice Gamin killing the Lightning Bug on the 3rd shot with a severe damage, doing 5 damage blasts to Whiskey Golem and the Lucky Effigy. Whiskey Golem reduces the damage to 4 from Armor +1 and the Lucky Effigy drops to 1 point of health due to Hard to Kill.

P2190016_zpsh1emni3j.jpg

Lucky Effigy activates and does the On the House action, granted to all models within 3 inches of the Brewmaster, healing all 3 points of damage on him. Then the Lucky Effigy does his 0 action Luck o' the Draw on Brewmaster, the he walks.

P2190020_zpsuepskuuo.jpg

Silent One activates and shoots the Whiskey Golem twice, first shot misses but second shot hits doing 2 damage but being reduced down to one damage. Silent One also got the trigger for Spreading Ice and put the ice pillar in the path of the Whiskey Golem.

Wendigo Companion activates off of the Silent One and double walks forward.

P2190023_zpsz07ffcmg.jpg

Whiskey Golem activates and does Fine Craftmanship to gain the Iron-Bound condition, which grants him +2 defense. Then he does Smokey Finish and heals 3 points and gains poison +1. He then uses his Nimble action to walk around the Lucky Effigy.

P2190025_zps1xcduge4.jpg

Ice Gamin activates and walks forward then shoots into the melee with the Lightning Bug and the Decembers Acolyte, randomizing and hitting the Lightning Bug doing 1 damage, leaving the Lightning Bug with 1 health left.

P2190027_zpsjerxne2u.jpg

Apprentice Wesley activates and walks around the building, then targets the Whiskey Golem with Binge, which I discard a mask to do a 1 ap action. Whiskey Golem does Smokey Finish but flips the Black Joker for the healing flip.

P2190029_zpsmbekg50k.jpg

Ice Golem activates and walks forward and attacks the Lightning Bug with his Melee Expert AP killing him. Ice Golem then tosses an Ice Gamin.

Brewmaster then activates Obeying the Whiskey Golem 3 times, the first flip I hit the target number and suit, the second flip I cheated the card from my hand, and the third flip I soulstoned the suit in and hit the target number. The Whiskey Golem healed the rest of his damage from the first Obey, then walked up to the Wendigo with the second Obey, and the third Obey he attacked the Wendigo and missed. Brewmaster then did his 0 action One for the Road targetting the Ice Gamin and missed.

P2190031_zpscrl4j7zq.jpg

Ice Gamin activates and walks forward then shotts the Lightning Bug doing 3 damage.

Lightning Bug then activated, went Reckless, I was outside of range for my ranged shot so moved forward and charged the Ice Gamin missing with both attacks.

P2190034_zpse3egkqrk.jpg

End of first turn, no points scored.

P2190036_zpsnsijljkf.jpg

Top of the second turn I win initiative. 

Whiskey Golem activates first uses his Nimble action to walked up to the Ice Golem doing Flurry to get 3 1 AP actions. After the 3 attacks I had done 5 damage to the Ice Golem.

Ice Golem activates and does his 3 AP action Smash hitting and killing the Whiskey Golem.

The last Lightning Bug activated and went Reckless then attacked the Ice Gamin killing it and was killed by the Explosive Demise.

Decembers Acolyte activates drops a scheme marker and then shoots the Lucky Effigy dropping him down to 1 health from hard to kill, also gave him slow.

P2190037_zpslu0l3y21.jpg

Lucky Effigy activates walks forward, does his 0 action Luck o' the Draw on Brewmaster, then Accomplices into Brewmaster.

Brewmaster charges the Ice Gamin hitting both times and getting the trigger Pisswater giving him 4 poison and 1 swill. He then uses his 0 action targetting the other Ice Gamin with One for the Road, successfully pushes myself 6 inches towards the Ice Gamin and giving him 2 poison. Last Action he targeted Rasputina with Hangover and missed.

P2190039_zpss2i72qba.jpg

Wendigo activates walks and then drops a scheme marker.

P2190041_zpsqbdoai8y.jpg

Apprentice Wesley activates and double walks into melee engagement with the Ice Gamin.

Ice Gamin in melee with Apprentice Wesley attacked him twice, missing once but hitting once getting the trigger Chill so Apprentice Wesley is slow and takes 1 damage.

Ice Gamin with the Brewmaster activated, attacked Brewmaster twice doing a total of 4 damage and hitting the trigger Chill to give him slow.

P2190043_zpswqpknk3s.jpg

Silent One activates and does her 0 action Decembers Favor on the Ice Gamin in melee with the Brewmaster healing him for 2. She then walked forward and shot the Lucky Effigy killing him.

Rasputina activated and shot into the melee with Brewmaster randomizing and hitting Brewmaster for 2 damage. Second shot randomized into the Ice Gamin which relented to the attack so Rasputina did severe damage to the Ice Gamin killing him and then the blast did 5 damage to Brewmaster which he reduced by 2 points then he took 2 more damage from explosive demise leaving Brewmaster with 1 health. Last shot from Rasputina hit and killed the Brewmaster. Arcanists score 3 points for Assassinate.

Brewmaster was then summoned into base to base with Apprentice Wesley then Apprentice Wesley was sacrificed.

P2190047_zpswblzmgyh.jpg

Summoned Brewmaster double walks then does his 0 action Drinking Contest.

End of turn 2 Arcanists score 1 from Reconnoiter and 3 from Assassinate, Gremlins score 0.

P2190050_zps1cjty4xm.jpg

Turn 3 Gremlins win initiative.

Brewmaster activates and does his 0 action Drinking Contest, then does Hangover on the Ice Golem, Silent One, and Decembers Acolyte giving them all 1 swill. The Silent One got the trigger for Frozen Statue.

P2190052_zpsc6sikcpc.jpg

Wendigo activates and double walks.

Ice Gamin activates drops a scheme marker and then shoots into melee randomizing and targeting the Silent One which he then misses.

Ice Golem activates but fails every Drinking Contest not being able to hit the target number. He gains 3 poison and heals all damage.

December Acolyte activates and succeeds in getting the target number then attacks Brewmaster with the Hunting Knife succeeding and getting the trigger Into Shadow and pushing 4 inches away. December Acolyte shoots into melee randomizing and hitting the Silent One doing 2 points of damage.

Rasputina activates and channels through the Silent One because of it having Frozen Statue trigger up. Shooting Brewmaster twice and killing him.

P2190053_zpsfba6tllv.jpg

That was the end of turn 3. The Arcanists scored 3 points for Line in the Sand 3 Points for Assassinate and 4 points for Reconnoiter.

Overall my opponent did an excellent job playing Rasputina and really brought the pain to my crew. My biggest mistake was actually being to worried about Brewmaster getting into the thick of it. I really thought that the risk of being in the middle of the board would not pay off, but truly I think that that is the best way to play him, and if he was killed at least I would have Apprentice Wesley to give me a second shot.

So after that game me and my opponent decided to play another game with the same masters, to see if I could figure out Brewmaster a bit better and for him to try out a different Rasputina crew that he wanted to check out. 

I didn't take copious notes or pictures for the next game so it will be more of an overview of how things went.

P2190056_zps4dbwnzaw.jpg

40 point game the deployment was corner, strategy Turf War, schemes Line in the Sand, Distract, Protect Territory, Vendetta, and Make Them Suffer.

Gremlin crew lead by Brewmaster with Binge and Liquid Bravery, Gracie with Saddle, Apprentice Wesley, Lucky Effigy, Merris Lacroix, and Finger. Cache of 7 soulstones.

Arcanists lead by Rasputina, 4 Decembers Acolyte, Silent One, and the Wendigo. 

I won deployment flip so I chose the corner I am in and deployed first.

I revealed Line in the Sand as well as my opponent, I took Distract and he took Vendetta Rasputina to Gracie.

P2190058_zpspvedf25p.jpg

The highlights of turn 1 where that Gracie activated and did her 0 action to gain reactivate, then double walked forward two activations in a row dragging Brewmaster along. 

One of the Decembers Acolyte attacked Brewmaster and I used a Soulstone to get the mask suit then cheated in a high tomb card beating him and using the trigger You're drunk go home to send him to his deployment zone.

Brewmaster threw Hangover around and put up Drinking Contest.

Apprentice Wesley was shot off the board in turn 1 by a Decembers Acolyte, so no second life for Brewmaster this game.

Fingers went Reckless and triple walked way forward to wrap up the Silent One in Melee and have his Chatty aura come into play.

Everything else just moved into position and attacked stuff, can't remember exactly how that went.

P2190060_zpskeuc4rix.jpg

I start to do Distract by Gracie doing Distract to the Decembers Acolyte standing on the pillar and then walking away succeeding the disengagement strike and saddling Brewmaster. Gracie does reactivate again and gets Brewmaster into the thick of things.

Brewmaster then starts to lock down the area by using Hangover and Drinking Contest. 

Second turn his Decembers Acolyte drops a scheme marker, and Merris starts dropping scheme markers for a Line in the Sand.

Fingers uses Distract on Rasputina and the Silent One.

P2190062_zpsv5qmsg6m.jpg

The third turn plays out a lot like the second turn just a lot of denial from Brewmaster. I score again on Distract and we both have scored on turf war.

The fourth turn the Arcanist end up turning the tide with the Wendigo devouring Fingers and the Silent One killing off Lucky Effigy.

So my crew only has Gracie, Brewmaster, and Merris left. I didn't take a picture but Gracie ended up going towards the top of the board to fight a Decembers Acolyte, so she was out of position for Turf War and Merris is off the screen running scheme markers.

P2190063_zps0ejv2e7b.jpg

Turn five ended up being the end of the game, he killed Gracie with Rasputina netting 3 points for Vendetta. 

I used Brewmaster to distract two models, then he was killed but the two models who killed Brewmaster where also the distracted models so I scored 1 point off of that. 

Merris ended up running out of space to legally drop scheme markers and that got me only 3 scheme markers total, so only 1 point. She did get rid of one of the scheme markers my opponent had set down so at least she prevented a point.

Merris was then killed by a shot from a Decembers Acolyte.

Final score was Arcanists 7, Gremlins 6.

That was a much better game for how the Brewmaster can get things going. Very close match and had a lot of fun.

As always any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2