Malifaux - The experience, so far... and yet to come

Kobayashi

Peeps, Creeps and creatures from the breach,

I was very outspoken on some topics in the past and additionally gathered advice here, but I want to share my experience as whole.

Why? I think it might help other (starting) players or give the developers valuebale feedback. Though, I guess, they already heard a point or two. I try to structutre as good as I can. Keep in mind, this is my personal rant and my (current) view on things. Feel free to comment or give some extra bullet points:

Miniatures:

:+fate All the miniatures are highly detailed and have unique poses. From peons to masters, every miniature is fun to paint due to it's detail. You loved that "commander" from that bigger rank and file game, but hated to paint all the mooks? Luckily this system gives you the pleasure in painting that mook up.

:+fate Also noteworthy is, that when you paint one miniature, you (mostly) have 1/10th of your army down (factoring in that you want additional soulstones and upgrades in your list), if not more. This keeps painting fun and engaging, since it's getting you somewhere.

:-fateAssembly sometimes is a nightmare and it is beyond my understanding (read: I really do not know why, but it might have a purpose!), why you have attach some bits on their own and don't have to do it with others parts.

:-fateIn addition the assembly guide is somewhat lacking (especially if buildorder is crucial); though I've seen worse and with dryfitting and methodical work you usually get around.

:-fateSome miniatures are still unreleased and while it is easy to use a proxy (stats are available and you know which basesize the use and how large (ingame) the model is), I personally prefer official models... though with monthly releases, work is getting done. But you know, you would love to have Unit A, but Unit B is getting released, though fans of B might be happy ;)

Rules & Game:

:+fate Rules are cheaply to acquire, or you can go premium; depends on if you want more fluff and spoiled stats. The premium books (starting from Crossroads) do come with extra missions and have something for everyone.

:+fate Story Encounters are fun (tried The Carver Walks amoung us from Crossroads) and change the normal play. So, if you don't feel to prepare for a tournament or just want to spice things up; go Story Encounters!

:+fate It's still a living game; rules are getting clarified and changed if need be. It seems to be a monthly thing, so I guess it's enough time to introduce them and try them out beforehand.

:+fate Rules are generally easy to grasp and (mostly) tight. If questions arise, the forum is a good resource to go to.

:+fate Not (on specific schemes & strategies) needing to kill something is a nice change of pace. Sometimes winning means not to engange and persue other tactics!

:-fate With each model having (usually) an abundance of abilities, it's sometimes (especially for a new player) hard to keep track on what does what and (re)reading certain cards take away from playing the game (though with more games under your belt, things start to get easier)

Purchases:

:+fate As said before, the rulebook is cheaply acquired; Either a Crewbox+Rulebook or the 2 player starter box will give you enough to start your own adventure in Malifaux.

:+fate Branching out seems to be easy at first glance...

:+fate You can also purchase card boxes, which gain you access to all the faction book models, without (unnecessary (if you are not down for it)) fluff and sometimes there are even errataed cards from the previous wave in it...

:+fate Also crew boxes come with (specific) upgrades of the units in the box, but...

:-fate ... generalist upgrades are still only tied to the card boxes or books and there is no other way to acquire them. Especially with the card boxes you tend to accumulate (unnecessary) doubles.

:+fate Additional masters (usually) come with a extra units that could been bought separately and thus you just pay a premium fee for another playstyle...

:-fate ... though sometimes there might be one miniature you are seeking that cannot be gained outside a crew box, which introduces a big price on just that - that is, if you don't fancy yourself the minions coming along with it.

:-fate Some masters are better for some objectives and you probably tend to purchase more boxs down the way and things can bloat to unlock some of the games hidden potenital, which is sometimes not as clear in the beginning (though there are some more generalist masters, but sometimes a drunken gremlin whispers "Buy me." in your ear and you simply can't resist). So buying on impulse might be not a good thing...

Misc:

:+fate :+fate Each Crew feels different from each other. While there are some masters, who have a similiar style, they usually feel different enough from each other and have another thing going on for them... (double points for that)

:+fate :+fate Same goes for each faction. There seems to be anything for everyone. While each faction have a set theme, there is usually enough diversity within a faction (double points for that)

:+fate The Forum is populated with staff, which sometimes drop some nuggets of wisdom, or just listen to player feedback. It feels nice, really nice...

So, what is my current tally?

:+fate x 17

:-fate x 7

I guess that should give a good hint about what to expect from the game - at least with my limited view on things. Though please keep in mind - and I stress it again - I'm still a new player and some points might solve themselves, or dependending when you read it non-existant, or you can stomach some points better than me...

Overall I think the game is still is worth investing and I'm also overall happy with all my purchases made...

My personal outlook: I already made plans branching out to other factions than Gremlins, with having the feeling of having a force of my own. I might still lack some purchases for the Gremlins, but see them as a side project for now. Currently I have money (I could also spend otherwise), but dump it into Malifaux. I don't know for how long I can purchase as I do now, but let's be honest, nobody needs the full range of miniatures!

I also want to touch again on the crew boxes, since I really beieve, that the healthy thing to look at them, is to say that you are purchasing the unit and the rest comes as an (payed) added bonus; it helps to keep things in perspective.

• Like 1

A review of Malifaux by yours truly will be published in the next Tabletop Insider, in German. I'd be happy if you gave it a read (it's for people who don't have experience with it, of course) and would throw me some feedback once the magazine comes out.

I mostly agree with your points here... with the notable exception of the forum feeling nice, but that is a matter of perspective, I think.

• Like 1

First, I edited my starting post. I still stand by the things I said, but I was pressed for time, because I typed it out on my lunchbreak.

As for the forums; I guess it all boils down to experience and there is not a lot to draw from for me. I've seen worse but I guess there can be better. Though you said it yourself, just a matter of perspective and if you know better, well you know better.