Nicodem vs. Colette

Strangely Brown

Hi all,

So last night I had my first game of Malifaux for about 6 months (I came down with a case of newborn babies - terror tots have nothing on these!)

I played Nicodem with all the tips that I have picked up from the great advice I received on this very forum (Mortimer gutting himself for corpse counters, nurse/Chiaki combo to heal and un-paralyse, Belle to pull Nico forward so he doesn't have to waste AP moving, etc...) - I have to say, it was working pretty well.  I made mistakes, I have written them down, I will read them again before my game next week.  But overall, a very promising start...

Then I ran into Colette - well, no, I didn't get as far as Colette - I got torn a new one by Coryphee (both apart and together), Cassandra, showgirls and mannequins.  In a good way, you understand - but I'd still really like to give them some of it back next time! :)

I went back and had a look at these models on Pull My Finger when I got home, and I reckon that what I need is:

• Damage that avoids defensive (by that I mean Df or Wp) flips (Blasts do this, right?  What else does?) to snuff the Coryphee
  • Anti-armour to deal with the Mannequins.
  • I'm happy that removing mannequins/luring other showgirls away/waiting until after they've activated will let me deal with the performers OK.

Does that sound about right to everyone?  Apart from Nicodem's blasts on Decay, are there any other good blast attacks I could add to Nico's crew?  I guess that the Student of Steel would be a good anti-armour model, are there any others?

Cheers all!

'Brown

Nicodem being able to hire Student of Steel is a pretty good thing in this matchup. You might want to consider hiring even The Valedictorian and take away those immortality granting defense triggers of hers. One is to Belle spam and lure lure lure Colette to your midst and have her greeted by Izamu packing Decaying Aura. 

One possibility with Nicodem as well is to hire Bishop. You can summon in the minions and start with the big boys on the table. I believe Nicodem is one of the masters that at least on paper should be able to cause some headache against Colette. 

Nicodem ... should be able to cause some headache against Colette. 

If only he wasn't being run by a noob! ;-)

Seriously, thanks for the input - The Valedictorian is a good steer, and Izamu is on my shopping list for next month.

It appears that your thoughts turned towards cutting off the head rather than dealing with the coryphee et al - is that the way you would go?  I must admit, I had written off getting at Colette, given the trouble I was having against the rest of her crew and knowing her reputation for tricksiness.

• Like 1

Valedictorian can quite efficiently cut away the things keeping her safe. Df triggers on a CA7. 

Belles lure her away with CA8. You could try going for the head of the Serpent. That would make the Colette crew quite a lot less scarier when prompt and all the other stuff goes away. Deal with coryphee after that with armor ignore from the student. 

Or bring in Bishop and Lure the other coryphee to your midst. Then have Bishop Flurry it with the armor ignore suit. Should hurt more than enough.