Club starting malifaux

dalezzz

My local club has decided to take up Malifaux , any suggestions on starter supplies? Aside from rulebook and a few decks of cards of course ;)

For example is the schemes and strategy deck a worthwhile purchase? also looking for a couple of crews the club can buy for newcomers that are

1. easy to put together paint

2.sturdy

3. good for starting players

any suggestions welcome  :)

This is a difficult question. Because of the structure of Malifaux, having a good assortment of boxes is going to need much space....

I'd get the Rulebook, the Rules manual, Crossroads, Fate Decks and Scheme and Strategy decks. The latter are good for new players to keep the goals in mind.

I'd add the following box sets for the factions:

Guild: Sonnia and Perdita

Arcanist: Rasputina (Wendigo is a chore but the rest are okay) and Marcus

Neverborn: Pandora and Lilith

Resser: Seamus and Nicodem

Outcast: Von Schill and Viktorias

Gremlins: Ophelia and Somer

10T: Lynch and Misaki

They are all okay to build I think.

thanks for the advice :) theres a few of us that already have a crew or 2 (or in my case 6 :P ) and a few more that are planning on getting one , so with regards to the crews we just thought we would get 2 so people can try the game out rather than cover all factions . Are there 2 that stand out from your list ?

This is a difficult question. Because of the structure of Malifaux, having a good assortment of boxes is going to need much space....

I'd get the Rulebook, the Rules manual, Crossroads, Fate Decks and Scheme and Strategy decks. The latter are good for new players to keep the goals in mind.

I'd add the following box sets for the factions:

Guild: Sonnia and Perdita

Arcanist: Rasputina (Wendigo is a chore but the rest are okay) and Marcus

Neverborn: Pandora and Lilith

Resser: Seamus and Nicodem

Outcast: Von Schill and Viktorias

Gremlins: Ophelia and Somer

10T: Lynch and Misaki

They are all okay to build I think.

I would really advise against the Viktorias box if you aren't confident assembling models. There are a lot of poses that rely on lining up hands to wrists that can be a real pain to deal with. Also, they are all rather... waifish. If you are the kind of person who is rough with their models, they might prove to be a little bit delicate.

The best box that I've ever seen, as far as construction goes, is McCabe, and he is a good starting master for both Guild and Ten Thunders. There's a lot of depth to the proper use of his upgrades, but they are pretty easy to get a handle on at a basic level.

yes i have the viks myself :) we also have loads of terrain so thats not a problem either

will probably go with Seamus and Lady j , as has been mentioned they seem quite iconic and would probably be a good indictor of how the game plays for new folk , also a few spare rotten belles knocking about for my Nico crew to summon wouldnt hurt ;)