My wife and I are looking to start

nicthaninja

So we have never played a miniatures game before, I saw this at Origins and decided I was going to check it out.  So I have been doing some research and I've come up with a few questions.

1. Do I need the Core rulebook or can I just get the rules only manual? The core book seems to be sold out everywhere.

2. Terrain. My plan is to use some Dave Graffam Models at least at first. I'd like to get some stuff on the same quality level Wyrd had on display but it seems so expensive, are there any cheaper places?

3. The starting crews I'm going with are Pandora and Ophelia. I'm going to get a doppleganger  and slop haulers respectively. From what I can tell that puts me around 50ss on each. Is that right?

4. Painting and assembling what products do you guys recommend? I'll need the whole shebang as I have never painted minis or really put them together. Any good starters kits?

5. Fate decks how needed are they? It seems like they would be easier but not required.

Welcome to Malifaux!

1. The Manual suffices. The Core Book includes fluff and model stats which is helpful but not required.

2. Dave Graffam models is a good possibility for beginners. Sarissa and 4Ground are comparatively cheap. I like PuppetsWar for walls and such.

3. I'dd add a Teddy for Pandora, but then you're set.

4. I'll let the modelling experts at this, but I use the Citadel palette and Revell plastic glue.

5. They aren't strictly needed, but will make life a lot easier. I'd sincerely recommend them.

Welcome!

I'm sure others can give you a more elaborate answer, but I'll give you what I can here.

1) You only need the rules only manual.  The main difference between it and the core book is that the core book has a lot of lore, as well as all of the wave 1 rules.  It is certainly nice to be able to look up everything and see how it may interact with other models, but it is hardly necessary.  As long as you have the rule book and the cards for each of the models you want to play with (either from the set or from the appropriate faction card box), you can play the game.

2) I can't really help you here.  I just use the terrain at my local hobby shop whenever I play a game there.

3) I can't help here, either (as I am both away from my books and have no desire to do math at the moment).

4) For painting and assembly, I would make sure that you have the following tools: a sprue cutter, a hobby knife (xacto or otherwise), plastic glue (and a set of gap filling superglue if you want), a file, a set of small paint brushes, and a set of paints.  I use Vallejo paints, as they are cheap and easy to mix thanks to the bottle design.  You don't need to get all of the colors, but a small cross section will be good.  I have a red, yellow, brown, black, blue, green, purple, white, and a light brown.  Anything I don't have, I can mix.

No real starter sets that I know of, but any hobby shop will have all of those products.  Also, decide what you want to do for basing your models.  It is easier to base the model before you glue models to it.

I hope that helps a little bit.  There are a bunch of advanced techniques that you can use for painting or personalizing your models, but that should be everything you need to get started.

Welcome to Malifaux!!

We are glad to have you.

1. You can get the rules only manual.

2. I'll let someone else answer that one, as most of our terrain tends to be homemade in my area!

3. Sounds about right to me! Both of those crews should be playable right out of the box.

4. I reccomend plastic glue for wyrd's plastic models over superglue. It kind of melts the joints together, making it stronger! You will want to get some plastic snippers, a file or a metal emery board to sand off any mold lines that you see. I don't have any specific products that I recommend... I recommend going with whatever is the cheapest. You can spend a lot of money in this hobby, but you don't have to. Also, I wanted to mention while I am thinking of cheap things that you don't need to buy primer from the gaming store at $14 a bottle. You can get any sort of cheap primer from walmart in the automotive section that says it can be used on plastics for $5 or less.

Also, I wanted to mention while I am thinking of cheap things that you don't need to buy primer from the gaming store at $14 a bottle. You can get any sort of cheap primer from walmart in the automotive section that says it can be used on plastics for $5 or less.

To follow up on this point, do not purchase any of your hobby tools from game stores (other than paint).  I especially recommend that you do not buy hobby tools that are sold by a game company - such as Games Workshop, Privateer Press, Gale Force 9, etc.  Those tools are heavily marked up from generic tools and they are no better.

Instead, I suggest you go to a hobby store that sells scale models - such as Cars, Planes, Trains, etc.  Those stores will usually have the best selection of hobby tools and they are generally the cheapest (other than shopping online).  In addition, the staff in those stores should be very knowledgeable about how to clean up and assemble plastic model kits.  There is really not much difference between a model car kit and Wyrd's malifaux model kits.

At the bare minimum you will want a hobby knife (just pick up an Xacto blade as they are by far the easiest to get replacements blades for), a sprue cutter (you can just use the hobby knife instead, but these make things much easier), a set of needle files (I recommend you find the really tiny micro-files), and some sort of glue.  For glue you can use either super-glue or some form of plastic weld cement.  I highly recommend the thin liquid variety of plastic weld glue.  But if you go with the plastic weld glue then make sure the label says it will work on ABS plastic (not all of them do).  

This is the glue that I have found to work best for plastic models:  

http://www.amazon.com/Plastruct-Plastic-Weld-applicator/dp/B00FDFWJD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434484563&sr=8-1&keywords=plastruct+plastic+weld&pebp=1434484566602&perid=0S8AWQ5JMZ9X7WCR726K

Hello,

I looked at the link to the glue hehe, $4.45 US.  (does not ship to Canada)  Amazon.ca price $19.71 hahaha...  Wow now that's service! 

Take care,

Joe

Just find an equivalent type.  There are other brands of that type of plastic weld glue.  You should be able to find them in a model store along with the rest of the tools.

• Like 1

Hello

I'm pretty new to Malifaux so I'll leave the gaming details to others.

1. You only need to rule book to play as each box comes with the rules for the models on cards.

2. I'd suggest checking out the terrain forum that has a thread of useful resources - http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104611-terrain-resource-list/

3. Pass

4. For assembling models Dgraz has put together a really useful overview http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104001-a-beginners-guide-to-plastic-modeling/

For painting, I use either Citadel or Vallejo paints but it might be best to see what is available in your local hobby store. As a starting point for brushes you'll want something pretty small (size 1 ish) and I would recommend  spending a little more to get a brush that won't fall apart straight away but again the hobby store will be able to offer suggestions.

After that you will want something to mix paint on, I found an old, cracked plate that was destined for the bin that served me well for years as a mixing palette.

I'd also suggest looking into a way to store everything out of the way, unless your wife is happy with a table cluttered with paint pots and modelling equipment. When I started out I found a cheap tool box was an easy way to store everything I needed. I now have a desk set up out of the way so I paint there.

5. The fate decks make things a lot easier so although not essential are recommended.

On top of that you'll want a tape measure, a way to track things like soul stones and various markers and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps and happy gaming

Thanks for all the input. You guys are making this really easy. My local wargames store doesn't sell malifaux, but I will hit them up for paints and brushes. And my local hobby store for the tools. 

Does anyone have any guides for making terrain at home?

I believe there are some guides and examples in the terrain sub forum.

You can also just do a google search for wargaming terrain tutorials.  There are a ton of them scattered across the internet.

For cheap terrain I normally trawl EBay for Citadel Terrain (Warhammer) for cheap as the sets can be split up to make multiple terrain pieces for example I won an auction for the Arcane Ruins and two citadel wood sets for under £10 including postage