Hamlin v Shenlong

Jewomie

Turns out the king of conditions can't always stack up against the blight.

Tonight was my first game with Shenlong and my 2nd time squaring off against Hamlin in 2.0. going in I figured I would stand a bit of a chance since Shen likes to play with conditions. but... I guess he really only likes to play with the 4 that he typically uses and not the rest of them. Oh well, here's the rather quick version.

41 SS game

Reckoning

standard deployment

Shenlong

High River style

I don't remember the name off hand, but I took the upgrade that lets him draw extra cards in exchange for condis

Sensei Yu

His 'copy everything Shenlong does" upgrade

Samurai

Monk of the High River

Monk of the High River

Peasant

Shadow Effigy

For the life of me, I cannot remember what all Hamlin started with. but here's a guess

Hamlin

2 stolen

2 rat catchers

obedient wretch

Nix

... and rats that add up to 41 ss

I took spring trap and bodyguard, he took spring trap and kill protégé on Yu.

turn one looked a lot like every other turn one... we moved stuff forward.

Turn two I thought I would get a head start on spring trap, and ran Shenlong head first right into Hamlin. He stayed right there for the rest of the game. Sensei Yu was bogged down by blight and everything was drawn to him, including a newly formed Rat King.

Turn 3 saw Sensei Yu give in to the rats and end up dead. The swarm moved over a little right into my Peasant and consumed him as well. However, turns out the high river monks are kind of bad ass! One of them put the hurt on Nix. if it weren't for Nix's "Nihilistic" he would have really shined. The free 2 inch push coupled with discarding a card for an extra attack on a charge just really sold me on them. Also, I love SHenlong's ability to draw up to 3 cards and discard that number. Really cleaned up my hand late in turn 3 which let me pile on some damage to Hamlin with Shen. Not something I would use all the time, but considering what he gets from the other upgrades, this one seems like one i'll have more often than not.

By the time we got to turn 4 shenlong was surrounded, my Samurai couldn't get a clear shot on any of the baddies aside from the rat king, my remaining Monk was just out of reach of anything he wanted to do, and he was closing in for the win. It was nearing 9pm and we had to finish up the game, so that turn he sprang the trap and scored several points, he killed Yu scoring kill protégé and had one point from turn 3 where he killed Yu and the peasant so he scored one point for reckoning.

I learned that Shenlong is not a beatstick, and he needs to be used a little more cautiously than I did. More than that, he wants Sensei Yu and the Shadow Effigy to be close by, and the peasants are useless if they are out of earshot of Shen. so he is apparently kind of a bubble master like Hoffman... not quite as tightly packed, but close to it. The monks are amazing and don't need the leaders for anything, so they can take care of what they need to do, while the core group keeps the opponent tied up.

Overall, I think it was a good game. Hamlin seems a lot more fun to play against now than he was in 1.5, and while it will take a while to get the hang of Shenlong, I certainly thought it was a good start. (in learning and in theory.. not in execution. I really messed this game up. but I see everything I did wrong, so that's a solid start.)

anywhoo, thanks for reading and i'll take some notes and keep the next one more in line with typical battle reports!

Yay!

Shenlong is one master i haven't tried to wrap my head around yet that's for sure. He has a lot of condition trickery but I can't figure out what he does well..... If you want to beatstick, I'd suggest mei feng... That said the monks of high river look really good, getting work done whithout much support needed.

Hamelin is one of my favourite masters so was rooting for him either way, sorry ;)

Still, nice writeup, and looking forward to more Shenlonging (pics would be great!)

My phone was dead, or pics would have happened.

Also, I have Mei Feng on her way to my house as we speak! lol.

I usually run Misaki, and I tried to play Shen like the slippery assassin that misaki is. He is definitely not that. haha

It was cool to see Hamlin kicking ass like he did. This is only the second time I've seen him in 2.0, but he was quite impressive.

• Like 1