Line of Sight to elevated terrain.

MoonShadow7

Question

9 answers to this question

Ht 2 terrain counts as a vantage point. When checking the LoS from a vantage point to a model below, all terrain that has Ht lower or equal to that of the model below (this case Ht 2) is ignored, including but not limited to the vantage point terrain itself.

In addition to that flame walls are Ht 5 so any and all terrain that is lower than Ht 5 is ignored when drawing the LoS to flame wall markers. Thus Sonnia can almost always see the flame walls no matter where you place them.

5" in. Sice that is the ht of flame wall.

Wrong. Because like I said, all terrain that is less than Ht 5 is ignored, including the terrain the flame wall is placed on. It doesn't matter if the flame wall is on top of some terrain. Normal LoS rules don't stop applying when something is put on a vantage point. Few extra rules are just added.

If you want to place flame wall on Ht 5 or higher vantage point, then you can only place it within 5" of the ledge.

I think I am reading what you are saying correctly, and I keep insisting that you are wrong.

If the terrain is ht2 (a vantage point) and that terrain is 10" long And 10"wide a model can only draw los to an object (model or marker) that is its ht or less from the edge closest to the model.

This is the part that you got wrong. The rules say that if model is within its Ht of the ledge of the vantage point terrain, then the ledge can be ignored when drawing LoS. Nowhere does it say that that is the only situation when the terrain the model is standing on is ignored. Normal LoS rules say that any intervening terrain that has Ht lower than one of the two models is ignored. Thus the distance to the ledge does not come into play until the vantage point is actually higher than both models, and since flame wall is Ht 5, Ht 2 vantage point terrain does not really affect drawing LoS to it.

Ahh I see what you are saying. But since vantage points specifically say you use diagonal los I think it would over rule the standard los. Which is top down.

And since vantage points specifically say:

•Any LoS lines which pass over the base of blocking terrain (which isn't otherwise ignored) at a point within the terrain's Ht are considered blocked.

Los goes base to base not base to ht.

See what I did there?