A breif summary of day 1, Trigger Happy Tourney.

Kapten Vendetta

Hello all, just thought I'd give a brief review of my performance of the first day (of two) of the first (hopefully) annual Trigger Happy tournament in Umeå, Sweden, which is the single largest event ever held in Mother North, or so the organizers claim, with a total of 28 registered players (or so I believe).

For my part, I decided on Guild, and during the two games of day one (three tomorrow) I went with an identical list:

Dr. McM. w. Evidence Tampering, On the Clock & Plastic Surgery

Brutal Effigy

The Judge w. Plant Evidence

Francisco Ortega w. Hermanos de Armas & Wade In

Executioner

Nurse

Witchling Stalker

For the first game it was Turf War, with ALITS, Assassinate(I think), Breakthrough, Make them Suffer & Murder Protége

I chose Breakthrough and Make them Suffer.

My opponent which declared Outcasts (Von Schill) took a crew of the man himself, a Trunk, 2 Trappers & 6 Korpsmen.

I knew that my beatstick-like list would not suffer against such a minion heavy crew, and as it turned out I could quite comfortably chew through his crew in order to win me the game 10-3.

A few mistakes were made by my opponent, such a positioning his trappers to close to my pushing-things-along-all-the-live-long-day crew and trying to take it on in close quarters, but in his defence I know he's not a seasoned player. The good Doctor himself did much of the heavy lifting and with organ Donor and Fear not the Sword from the Effigy I never really feared for his safety, being able to heal up quite nicely.

As expected El Mayor from Frank was a real lifesaver, and having McM. or the Executioner at Df 7 really helped through out the game, but (as always it seems) the Nurse where the one model to really shine, healing McM. back to full (and having the Stalker remove the Paralyze) and being all-around annoying for my opponent.

All in all I was quite happy with the result and it reflected the game as well.

Round 2 was against Archanists and Marcus, w. Myranda, Cojo, Sabretooth, Rattler, Moleman & Waldgeist.

We had Reckoning, ALITS, Assassiante, Protect Territory, Plant Evidence & Power Ritual

Using the same crew as before I chose Assassinate & Plant Evidence, reasoning that I might Injection something to drop a marker near Marcus for a VP or two, as I turned out, that wasn't going to happen.

It was a close fought game, and in the end I lost 4-2, mostly because I forgot that Myranda could heal Marcus, who was down to one wound and no stones next to McM. at the end of the game, and he would have died upon activating due to Catalyst. This one error, leaving him alive and Scalpel Slingin' to finish of the Waldgeist ultimately cost me the game, as he survived, went on and got himself a marker down for Protect Territory and I got nothing from Assassinate (or Plant Evidence!).

We also forgot that Cojo was Slow when he killed my Executioner, something that would - most likely - have been impossible with the one AP he would have had, had we remembered, as he used Cojos 2AP action to finish off the Executioner.

As in game one, McM. did his thing and Frank and the Nurse were the real pillars of the crew.

I feel it was a fair loss, some poor planing on my part (always go for the sure VPs!) in leaving Marcus alive thinking he would die and instead  nabing a VP for Reckoning that turn was what really decided the outcome, had he died that turn, it would have been at least a draw, but probably a narrow win for me as he could not have scored 2VPs for Protect Territory where as I would have has 2VPs from Assassinate.

All in all it was a good day, and I feel my run-o'-the-mill Guild McM. crew did well.

The second day awaits! And most likely I'll be facing of against a Seamus WP-crew with Hanged, Belles and Nurses.

And last minute tips for me against the Mad Hatter? I know it will be Flank Deployment & Squatter's Rights, the schemes will be announced tomorrow. 

I can build most configs. with Lady J., Hoffman, McM. & Sonnia.

• Like 1

No markers for conditions I'm afraid, something I'm looking into as a result of that game! ;)

As for day 2, it has been almost a week now, and since I havn't been able to access the forum until today, I'm afraid I've forgotten alot.

In short:

Game 3, WP-Seamus. I took Sonnia, blasted the WP portion of the crew in one activation, kept my models close to Sonnia's anti CA aura. Lost 6-3 I believe, mainly due to Seamus teleporting for an easy 3VP for Entourage, and a slugfest in the middle with Judge, Handler and Sonnia .vs. 2 Fleshies. Something I could have done without, in hidsight. Also some unlikely :+fate flips and yet failing for disengaging cost me a VP or two with the scenario being Squatter's.

Game 4 (or the game that shall not be named...)

Reconnoiter .vs. Som'er summoning factory. It was all over turn 2(!!!), as there was no point in going on. He had a bucketload of Gremlins, and I had lost my own schemers, McM. and an Executioner (same line-up as in games 1 & 2 with 2xHounds and a Watcher instead of the Judge), and he had lost...well nothing but a rampaging Rooster. (Also I had Entourage and Plant Evidence)

It was one of those games where you can just stand there and watch it all unravel. A real 40K game, over before it begins, atleast as a former Tyranid player in earlier editions .vs. Grey Knights. :P There was really nothing I could have done differently, it was preordained. And we called it a 0-10. Both of us agreed that it was a real this-should-not-be-happening-but-it-is game. No hard feelings, just an extremely unlikely outcome. Had we played it out (as you should in tournaments, due to scoring and such) the outcome would have been the same, so we both felt it pointless to go on.

Game 5 was against a new player, using Nico, I went for Hoffman, the scenario was Stake a Claim. It was a typical bottom-half-of-the-ladder-end-of-the-tournament kind of game, we moved some models, some things died, most didn't, due to Distract and ALITS schemes. In retrospect I would not have chosen the 'Hoff against an inexperienced player, as he just shook his head and didn't understand the 'Hoffs looping/puppet/AP/pushing/magnet-thing going on, and I believe he felt it a poorer game for it. Since neiter of us had anything to play for I feel I could have made it a better game for both of us by going with a different master. In the end I won an uninspired game with 4-3 or some such.

All in all it was a good learning experience for me, even if I have become quite familiar with this game by now. I learned above all else: play to your schemes, go for the "easy" VP and don't get greedy. There are to many variables going on at any given moment to keep every models abilities and their possibilities for combos in mind, so just do the things you know will earn you some VPs.

Also: if you got nothing to play for in a tournament (in terms of a ranking) you might aswell make the game enjoyable for you and your opponent, and go for that wacky-and-fun but not that competitive crew build.