Mechanical Augments

Hello Forum,

In our current TTB game my fated has just had his eye plucked out of his head in a nasty encounter with Coppelius. He managed to get away from him but now has only one eye. My question is can i use the rules for the tinkerer in our party to make me a mechanical eye and have it installed and usable but with the addition of advanced optics such as magnification and targeting sights.

Spydar 

With the current pair of books there are not yet any rules for mechanical augments besides arms and legs, but 1) I expect the Into the Steam book will expand on that, and 2) you can always come up with your own rules in the meantime.  Have a chat with your FM and see what you two can figure out.  Using the current augmentations as inspiration, something like, "Once per Dramatic Time count ______ stat as being 5." would be fitting.

• Like 1

"Once per Dramatic Time count ______ stat as being 5." 

I've heard someone call that methodology in making a feature "hydraulic" so now all I can think of is a Hydraulic eye, and I'm giggling like crazy

It can definitely happen. a certain Mr. Langston has one, so It by all means has prescience in the Malifaux universe. I'll be looking over some lore and stat cards to see if there's any kind of construct vision similarities that I can pick up on. I have a dumb little thread in on the fated creations (Giant robot fists for non-robots) board that I occasionally update with my augment homebrew, and I actually have to thank you. I've only really been focusing on arms really, this has reminded me to focus on some other stuff, eyes included. I'll probably have about two eye augments if you'd want to use them in my next post.

as a side note, I would like to mention in googling this, I figured out Howard Langston shares a name with the MC of a certain Christmas themed Arnold Schwarzenegger star vehicle. I'd be inclined to say it's coincidence, but I know it's not. as I've said to my friends, Everything in Malifaux is a reference, even if you don't realize it. I'd bet you anything the M&SU has the market cornered on turboman dolls

I'd end with my regular catchphrase, but It feels out of place between a fated losing an eye and my Jingle all the way themed revelation. if whoever named HL happens to read this or become notified thereof, my only question is why.

• 1 month later...

I've been asking about the same sort of thing over in the TTB Discussion area and here is what another user - Wakshaani - had to say about occular implants:

Right now, there aren't any occular improvements, but, again, Into the Steam should have 'em.

For now, off the top of my head?

BRASS EYE ($15) (May be given one upgrade)

Part of the growing school of Almagamation, teh Brass Eye is a glass eye that replaces the character's normal eye (Or, more likely, is placed into the location where a non-functioning eye once was!), held in place by a brass plate attached to the side of the character's face and powered by a tiny bit of soulstone. This magical eye functions in all way as a normal eye, but the baleful contraption can unnerve some people.

Telescopic Scope ($10)

When you Focus with any ranged weapon, the range is increased by X10. This can combine with the Rifle upgrade to give your weapon range X100.

(Thus, a scoped rifle can hit a target about 1800 yds away, which is about the known max of the day (2000 yds).) 

This may be taken as a stand-alone item or built into a Brass Eye.

Others could include:

Venatione Occulus ($10)

With a built-in crosshair and a magical indicator that flashes green when a target presents itself, the Venatione Occulus allows the user to ferret out targets who think that they're hidden. This removes one negative flip from any Ranged Attack that you make.

Circumspector Occulus ($10)

The eye constantly moves, darting about from person to person, keeping one on top of any movement. This ever-shifting eye takes quite a bit of getting used to, and we remind any purchasor that stomach-quelling elixers may be purchased from our sister site. The Circumspector Occulus gives the character a positive flip on all Notice checks.

Verax Occulus ($10)

While most of the eye upgrades are heavily mechanical, the Verax is, instead, more powerfully enchanted, using a somewhat larger soulstone shard to provide overall power. It prevents the user from seeing phantasmic energies, thus providing the user with immunity to the Illusion Magia.

Gaze of Death ($10)

Sometimes, you need an ace in the hole. In this case, it's an ace in the hole in your head. Hidden inside your eye is a single-shot pistol. Removing it for a reload takes about a minute, so use it wisely.

Protective Upgrade ($10)

Replacing the brass plating with a larger steel plate, and adding a thick glass window over teh eye itself, the protective upgrade helps make certain that the purchaser won't have to worry about losing an eye again. This upgrade counts as Light Armor for the head and provides Protection (Rams).

Its not "official" but I found it useful. ;)

Thank You that quote does look very helpful. I just sent it to my fate master to see what he thinks. At the minute my character has a new shiny chrome eye courtesy of Viktor Ramos. He kidnapped the fated and augmented us. We don't know what we owe him yet although he took something very valuable from us.

I can see if our tinkerer and fate master will let my play about with the add on augments.