Teaching a new player

Alexifer

I'm going to be teaching someone how to play Malifaux tomorrow and I was wondering what the best way to teach him would be.  What strategy do I use?  I know I don't want to use schemes on the very first game.  Also, he bought Ramos and i would like to hear some opinions on which box to use against it so as to make the game a learning experience, enjoyable, and not completely one-sided either way.  The guy has been playing tabletop games for years so we're not starting completely from scratch.  I'd just like some pointers.  Thanks!

From a bit of experience...

1-talk about the principles, but show a quick, open hand, 2v2 sort of 1 turn fight with as many principles as you can (i.e. have a henchman, melee, range, offense w/ TN, flat TN, focus, charge, cover, etc.), showing what different combinations of cards or actions might do.

2-play simplified, try not to include whole boxes unless a veteran gamer and a lot of time

3-pick 1 scheme (don't need them to be the same) and make them revealed. If scheme/strategy feels one-sided (particularly against the new player) re-flip

That's about what I've seen people be able to handle on a first game. Also, expect the game will take at bare minimum 3 hours.

Sorry, no advice on crews since I'm not very familiar, though Ramos should be very strong in a small game (as a summoner) so you probably don't need to hold back that much.

The times I've done demos I've done the following:

In general discussion of the basic rules (What AP is, everyone but masters get 2 as a general rule. Options you can do with your AP. What a dual is and how it's performed. What cheating is, and how it's done. Basic movement and charges. If they come from other wargames, then I also point out that you only have to be in Engagement range, not base-to-base, to be engaged, etc. Not). I just do an overall discussion, not a verbatim reading of the rules. Try and keep it simple to start. 

After I do the above (usually as a once over which takes just a few minutes, plus a little time to answer any immediate questions) I then do a quick 1 on 1 demo to illustrate the above. They control one guy, I control the other, preferably regular minions for simplicity's sake. I might touch on Soul Stones and uses, but usually wait as I want them to understand the basic mechanics.

Then I'll do an actual game, around 30 to 35SS so they can see some variety, but not be overwhelmed, and I do a once over of my own crew and what it does. I prefer to use Lilith and her crew box and usually only take Beckon Malifaux (create terrain) as my only upgrade for her. I do a general run down of her crew as, "Lilith is the master of the crew. She's basically a guerrilla style fighter who likes to do hit and run tactics. She's able to swap positions with her guys or herself into your own guys (Tangle Shadows). She can be an upfront damage dealer (charging at you), but typically likes to hit from the shadows. Her main weakness is her WP though. Barbaros is her henchman, and basically her bouncer. Just opposite of her, he prefers to charge in, is stronger on WP, but weaker, stat wise, on DF. Her totem is the cherub. Basically he can fly around, has a short range shot that can slow and push guys, can put hazardous terrain on people, and makes it easier for those near him to drop markers (2 AP Interacts become 1AP, 1AP become 0AP). The terror tots are fast scheme runners. decent defenses, but mainly there to run like hell and complete objectives."  Not a line-by-line explanation, but it gives them an overall idea of what the crew can do (and then they are always free to read the cards).

Typically I've done Squatter's Rights, as it usually leads to a few fights over the center markers and can see more of the above mechanics in action as well as exposes them to Interacts, and a single shared scheme of Breakthrough or Protect Territory (If they don't have a fast moving crew, like Raspy, I'd go for something like Protect, otherwise I'd go for Breakthrough). Something that is Scheme Marker related vs killing, as it shows them that the object of the game isn't always KILL EVERYONE (but I make them aware there are schemes/strats that are). I will also, top of each turn, remind them that we each have 2 objectives and need to figure out how we're going to accomplish them, control the Squat Markers and to drop scheme markers. If a player is completely new I'll go through my reasoning for why I'm moving certain models certain ways.

During the game I'll usually start expanding on the basic rules by letting them know how they can utilize things like Soul Stones, Focus, Defense, etc. I'll even typically take more Soul Stones than normal (I usually take 1 to 4 in most of my crews) so I can show them as I play (blowing soul stones on suits, damage prevention, defenses, initiative flips, and card draw, even if it's only to prevent 1 to 2 damage from a peon against my Master/Henchmen). 

I will, first games anyway, give them options that they can do with their guys. "You could have model X do this, or this, or walk over and destroy/flip this marker, or charge this guy, etc" but I tend to ask in advance if they want that type of advise as some people do, and some don't. I also tell them why those advised actions would be good/bad for each of us and what my potential responses would be so they can make their own decision on the actions available to them and myself. 

As stated by Spiral, be prepared for the first game to take a bit. I don't purposely lose my demo games (I've read some do), but I also don't start pulling out all the tricks in the bag either. 

Insofar as crew selection vs a Ramos crew, his summoning will be quite potent potentially, but that's all summoners at lower SS games to start. Honestly, depending on your model selection/crews, I'd find something that is similar in points and you should be fine. I personally stay away from blast heavy masters to start though as that might feel overwhelming to someone to watch 2+ of their guys get vaporized, potentially every turn (so Raspy, Sonnia, and Wong). The only time I don't mind those in demos are when the person learning the game are using them as that's what attracted them to that crew most likely.

That's my two cents (three cents... :P ). Take what you want from it and best of luck to you and the new player.

Oh, one other thing I do. I have laminated print outs of a cheat sheet and of the strats/schemes, the strat/scheme deck has those as well in them if you have that. I like to give those to the player to hold on to during the game as part of the top of the round reminder, having them read them and have them on hand in case they have any questions.