Concentrated Deformation and placing the Desolation Engine

Bloaty

Question

So today we noticed a lack of clarity on what exactly goes on when you use Concentrated Deformation with the Abominations. The ability reads: 

"(1) Concentrated Deformation: Sacrifice this model and three other friendly Abominations within 2" and LoS to summon a Desolation Engine within 1"."

The confusion that came up is whether you removed all the Abominations and then place the Desolation Engine within 1" of where the acting model was at the time, since that's order the ability reads. Or if you place him within 1" then remove all the Abominations like with most summon abilities (if not all other). 

The only reason it became an issue was because the Abomination that used the ability was behind the other 3 and was able to remove them to put the Desolation Engine where the other 3 previously were and able to get the range on swinging on another model versus having to walk over where the Abominations had previously been. It also allowed for the Desolation Engine to fit where he normally couldn't have because he could place where the acting Abomination was, but since he was removed before the summon, there was now room.

Here's a cheap little diagram to help show.

Example 1: a-d are Abominations with d using the ability, E is the Engine being summoned.

a b c                 a b c

d        ----->      d E     then remove dudes.

Example 2:

a b c     remove   E

d        ----->     (d)      with d not actually there but a base to represent where he was

Any help would be awesome.

4 answers to this question

I've always done example 1. And I think it's what is meant by the card.  However I can totally see where example 2 could come from.  I suspect the answer lies in the sacrafice wording.  I don't have my rule book handy otherwise I'd look into it more.  Honestly seems more academic in nature as I'm sure everyone else would want you to follow suit with the "normal" summoning.  Leve is my favorite master, but I wouldn't say I'm a great source of truth LOL.  Darn me not having my rule book sew to my hip!

You can't place something within 1" of something that isn't there. You place then remove.

That's how they played it the 2nd time it happened since it makes sense and seemed like an oversight in wording. But the guy playing is "that guy" when it comes to rules and played it the other way saying that's how the ability was worded and order of words and such. >_> 

look at Steam Arachnid

(1) Swarm Together: Sacrifice this model and two friendly Steam Arachnids in base contact with this model. These models do not count as killed for Encounter purposes. If this happens, summon a Steam Arachnid Swarm within 3” before removing this model.

or coryphee

(1) Dance Together: Sacrifice this model and one other friendly Coryphee within 2”. These models do not count as killed or sacrificed for Encounter purposes. If this happens, summon a Coryphee Duet in base contact with this model before removing it.

The other models are removed from the table before placing the Model this is no different. The oversight is it missing the Blurb "If this happens summon a Desolation engine within 1" before removing this model"