Still a little confused with cover.

Red Moon Head

Question

Okay so I've been having a few games this past week (just getting into it) and the first few there were major confusions with cover, height etc.

I think I have all that hammered out now but I just want to confirm something cause it's eating away at me taht it doesn't seem quite right.

This is from a game last night:

Ht 2 Hard cover (a metal railing fence so NOT blocking).

Ophelia is stood 4" away from it
On the other side is a Rotten belle 4" away with no other terrain seperating them.

Ophelia shoots the Belle, even though the LoS passes through the Hard Cover terrain to get to the belle, since the Belle is not within 1" of it she does not get cover.

Is that correct?
To ever benefit from any sort of cover (hard cover, soft cover) you have to be within 1" of it even if the incoming projectile passes through cover in between you?

2 answers to this question

That's correct.

Note that there are 2 conditions for cover: A LoS has to pass through and you have to be within one 1". You don't have to be in 1" along the LoS in question which can be a little confusing if you're shooting along a wall instead of over it.

That's correct.

Note that there are 2 conditions for cover: A LoS has to pass through and you have to be within one 1". You don't have to be in 1" along the LoS in question which can be a little confusing if you're shooting along a wall instead of over it.

I think I get you. So basically when determining cover for a model ask 2 questions

1) Is the Line of sight from attacker to defender passing through terrain with a Cover trait (Hard or Soft)?

and

2) Is the defending model within 1" of the cover the Line of sight passes through?

If answered yes to both, then a cover modifier is granted.

I did think that was how it worked but it seemed off that I could shoot at something with cover in between us (directly through railings 4" away in this case) and the attack suffered no negatives just becaus ethe belle wasn't close enough to the railings. But hey-ho I'm happy if I played it right :D 

• Like 2