Looking to get into Malifaux

oistene

No, I am not on a tight budget, but I am looking to make a single big order, since shipping tends to increase the cost significantly. Hence, I need to save up a little first (I've spent my fun&games budget for this month, also, I've been promising myself to paint up some of the stuff I have before I fill the house with more stuff - this has worked out nicely, I have almost quadrupled my painting speed). I want enough stuff to keep me going for a while, maybe adding a small order with a mini or three after the first few games if I see that I need to tweak.

Part of what I like about games like this, is the visual part... Playing with cardboard counters wouldn't do it for me. If I wanted to proxy, I would at least dig up some decent minis form another game. So, big spending it is. :)

Ah, well, then.  

Depending on your personal style, either both the big rule book and Crossroads OR the rules manual and a bunch of arsenal decks should be on your short list.  Either will give you access to model stats so that you can think about crew building and purchases for round 2*.  I like the books 'cause they are a more convenient format for looking at lots of model options without having to sort through cards.  Eventually you'll want the arsenal decks for every faction you play and they are convenient if you want to focus just on the models you currently posses--stick the stat cards in your pocket and study them on the bus or during work breaks.  Also, if you buy metal models you'll get the old (wrong) stat cards for your models.   I chose books and a couple of arsenal decks to start, although I eventually ended up buying all of the above.

*Yes, there will be a round 2.  

What really sells me on the books is that when I was introduced to the game is was a friend letting me play his rezzers.  I started down the path of building rezzers (and goblins) but wasn't really "feeling it."   I also had thoughts of playing Guild, but never really got excited about it.   When I spent some time with the rule book, reading the faction fluff and model fluff/stats, I found that my factions were Arcanists and Outcasts--several models that, from  looking at the boxes, I had no interest in suddenly have become the focus of my efforts and acquisitions. 

Back to your list.  Two masters within a single faction gives you value in that either master can hire the other's models so you get a lot of play value fairly quickly although you won't have a really synergistic crew to start.  Three masters in three different factions gives you lots of options for play style and experimentation while you learn what you like and you can buy models that are synergistic with the master/crew.  There really is no wrong choice here, it comes down to building a couple of  internally consistent crews versus building a single faction.

6 starter boxes gives you 6 masters (two for each of three factions) and lots of models to get started with.  The expense is only slightly higher than if you buy 3 masters and a couple boxes of support models for each.  If you go the three masters route you've already gotten better advice from others about support models than I am going to be able to give you, so I won't try.

The fastest way to create counters and markers is with the colored bases.  Not terribly expensive so add a couple to your list.  You may choose to decorate them, or go in a completely different direction later, but to start, even a "naked" colored base looks nicer than cardboard cut outs.  

Final thought (from me), my local game store is far away, but they do not directly charge shipping if I place an order with them and pick it up in the store.  (Shipping is recovered through their wholesale to retail mark-up.)  If you routinely travel to a place that has a game store you might be able to do the same.  

This is going to be expensive... But getting two boxes for each faction IS a good suggestion. If I go down that path, who would be good partners to my chosen masters?

Also, what is in Crossroads?

On the first question you are looking at different factions than I am, so I am not really sure what to tell you.  

The second question is easier.  Malifaux 2e has been introduced in two waves.  Wave 1 was included in the large rulebook which has fluff, rules, and information on the 2e stats for wave 1 models.  Crossroads has fluff and 2e model stats for wave 2 models.  

Well, I have some good news for you: The Wyrd staff usually reads these forums, too, and chimes in from time to time. When I got my first 'Like' from Justin, I was really giddy. And then one gets accomodated to them answering questions, and THEN one realises how awesome that is!

I really enjoy these forums a lot.

It's always a good sign when company staff participate in their public forums - better feedback in both directions, and showing they care about their customers with a genuine hands on approach. 

Nikko Andass,

There was a darker time on the forms when people were not so "helpful and accommodating" but thoses days are long over for better or worst. The switch from 1.5 to M2E caused quite the battleground. Then beta testing got pretty heated as well. You missed the forum wars and other stuff. Now that the community has so little to war over it's peaceful...for now.

Nighthater

I'm not under any delusion that these forums are all rainbows, unicorns and perfumed pixie farts. I've participated in enough similar venues to know firsthand that there always will be disagreements and unpleasantness to be found whenever any diverse group of folks interact with each other. Hopefully the "grown-up to 13 year-old" ratio is high enough to keep the negativity to a minimum.

Actually, though, you've made me a bit jealous that I wasn't around during the more interesting times. "Peaceful ... for now," you say.  Mwahahahaha!  :P

- N

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lulz. Let's see:

Malifaux 2E: Guild - The Torch and the Blade Box WYR20102 1 $30.00

Malifaux 2E: Resurrectionists - Body of Evidence Box WYR20203 1 $33.75

Malifaux 2E: Neverborn - No Shelter Here Box WYR20402 1 $33.75

Malifaux 2E: Neverborn - Teddy WYR20411 1 $13.50

Malifaux 2E: Neverborn - Beckoners (2) WYR20405 1 $12.00

Malifaux: Neverborn - Pandora - Avatar of Insanity (Black Friday!) WYR4043 1 $20.00

Malifaux: Neverborn - Dreamer and Lord Chompy Bits (Black Friday) WYR4026 1 $10.00

Malifaux: Guild - Death Marshals (3) (Black Friday) WYR1009 1 $8.80

Malifaux: Neverborn - Marionettes (4) (Black Friday!) WYR4040 1 $8.25

Malifaux 2E: Neverborn - Doppleganger WYR20412 1 $8.25

Malifaux 2E: Guild - Witchling Stalker WYR20105 1 $13.50

Malifaux 2E: Neverborn/Ten Thunders - Mr. Tannen (1) WYR20417 1 $8.25

Malifaux 2E: Resurrectionists - Canine Remains (3) WYR20211 1 $13.50

Malifaux 2E: Resurrectionists - Flesh Construct WYR20214 1 $11.25

Malifaux 2nd Edition Rule Book WYR20001 1 $30.00

Malifaux Retro Fate Deck WYR6017 1 $8.63

Malifaux 2E / Through the Breach RPG: Arcane Fate Deck (Light) WYR20011 1 $9.00

Through the Breach RPG: The Fatemaster's Almanac WYR30101 1 $30.00

Malifaux 2E: Crossroads Rulebook WYR20013 1 $33.75

Through the Breach RPG: The Fated Almanac WYR30102 1 $30.00

Through the Breach RPG: The Fatemaster's Kit WYR30403 1 $18.75

Malifaux: Encounters - University of Transmortis Box Set

Sorry about the formating, it is late and I am too lazy to do it on iPad.

I realise that I forgot the arsenal decks...

• Like 1

I should be getting some CMoN-credit soon, it would be perfect to spend that on Arsenal cards plus whatever I immediately find that I'm missing. So I don't worry too much about it, though the cards will surely be useful, since I grabbed some cheap 1E stuff.