Soulstone Morbidity (non-canonical)

Brian_2d6

Howdy,

So, I was thinking some about the various commentary on Soulstones, economy, etc., rules vs. fiction. For games I'm likely to run, an idea comes to mind.

I find some of the background particularly creepy and sinister re: Soulstones (send us your citizens ... ) that doesn't necessarily play out in the rules. The part about recharging from a nearby death (and the really short range), and such.

Giving a close reading to The Fated Almanac suggested some things to me:

"Of course, a Soulstone can also be recharged in a variety of ways (such as the Harness Soulstone skill, or Siphoning) ... " [FA p. 225]

"If a Soulstone is within a number of yards ... when a character dies ... the the Soulstone will completely fill." [FA p. 226]

"... send us your citizens and we will share with you the secrets of Soulstone." [FA p. 19]

I believe the Soulstones, in addition to recharging themselves (if high enough Lade), recharging fully from a nearby death, and when subjected to Harness, ... can also be recharged (although not as quickly) by proximity to human suffering.

Individually of little use, or even a few. But a workshop, 1905 factory, work-camp, mining operation, or asylum? Certainly, and discretely. 

I think the only problem with your post is the word "non-canonical" in the title.

There's only so many words in the book, and some things are just better handled according to dramatic constraints.  Especially if it's going to involve producing a chart which quantitizes human suffering and rates it by how quickly it causes a soustone to recharge.

Hmmm? Well, no, I'm not really in favor or producing such a chart either, or having one. I'm just speculating on the idea that Soulstones can even be recharged by suffering - the book, as I see it, only suggests it as best, and if that ... hence it not being canonical. 

• 2 weeks later...