Aura stacking

DeleteAccount

Question

19 answers to this question

Mmmm, I've been reading the big box of stacking and it says nothing about a model using a tactical action twice not being able to stack. So initially I would say nothing is stopping a Night terror from using Night Falls twice and putting -8" to Rg, since it is not an ability and it is not a Condition and therefore is not contemplated by the stacking section.

You also seem to agree that something like Sebastian´s Under Cover does stack in this thread

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102027-accumulation-of-effects/

Under cover (1) Under Cover (Ca 6C / TN: 10cc / Rg -): Until the start of this model’s next activation, z attacks targeting models within a8 of this model suffer -.

vent steam (1) Vent Steam: Until the beginning of this models next activation, all Sh and Ca Attack Actions taken against models within a4 suffer -.

two different effects from two diff models

Effects which are not Conditions always stack unless they state otherwise. For example, enemy models within a1 of Canine Remains suffer -1 Df. If an enemy model is within range of two Canine Remains, it will suffer -2 DF

(1) Night Falls: Until the start of this model's next Activation, all enemy models within a8 suffer -4 Rg to all Ca Actions, to a minimum Rg of 1. 

ok so now we have are they within this a8 of this model yes ok they get minus 4.  doing it twice i don't see how it would stack. But now if two night terrors do it. two different models bam bam stack.

i could very well be wrong i just dont see how a double aura originating from the same model would apply the effects twice.

Under cover (1) Under Cover (Ca 6C / TN: 10cc / Rg -): Until the start of this model’s next activation, z attacks targeting models within a8 of this model suffer -.

vent steam (1) Vent Steam: Until the beginning of this models next activation, all Sh and Ca Attack Actions taken against models within a4 suffer -.

two different effects from two diff models

Effects which are not Conditions always stack unless they state otherwise. For example, enemy models within a1 of Canine Remains suffer -1 Df. If an enemy model is within range of two Canine Remains, it will suffer -2 DF

(1) Night Falls: Until the start of this model's next Activation, all enemy models within a8 suffer -4 Rg to all Ca Actions, to a minimum Rg of 1. 

ok so now we have are they within this a8 of this model yes ok they get minus 4.  doing it twice i don't see how it would stack. But now if two night terrors do it. two different models bam bam stack.

i could very well be wrong i just dont see how a double aura originating from the same model would apply the effects twice.

That's the problem, I don't see why it wouldn't stack. As well as Under Cover stacking if used twice or Vent Steam if used 3 times. The Stacking section only states that all other effects not covered in the exception stack, but it doesn't state anywhere in the exceptions that an action that is used twice doesn't stack when it's not based on an ability or a condition and that is the part that makes me believe that you can stack them since

• It is not a condition gained either in Night Falls, Vent Steam or Under Cover, so first exception does not apply.
  • It is neither an ability nor a condition, so sharing the name doesn't come into it either, so this exception does not apply.
  • It is not an ability, so the third exception doesn't apply again
  • It is not a condition so finally the fourth exception does not apply either

After that it just states that all other effects stack which is where using an action that does not grant an ability or condition seems to fall under.

That is the reason why I'm starting to think they stack, though I thought they wouldn't since I always have the whole "same name effects don't stack" from other games, but there is not such line in Malifaux when it refers to using actions that don't apply conditions or on abilities.

Well raz I think I have to agree with you. The last line says effects that are not condtions stack unless they say otherwise.

I hope some one steps in with some super rank pull and sorts this out. Cause my search fu and answering rules questions is making my head hurt lol.

I also wonder if giving a model -20" ca range lowers there range to 0 and what 0 is when casting. Or do we treat it like a stat for bare minimum of 1"

Well raz I think I have to agree with you. The last line says effects that are not condtions stack unless they say otherwise.

I hope some one steps in with some super rank pull and sorts this out. Cause my search fu and answering rules questions is making my head hurt lol.

I also wonder if giving a model -20" ca range lowers there range to 0 and what 0 is when casting. Or do we treat it like a stat for bare minimum of 1"

Well, Night Falls covers that by stating you always have a minimum of 1"

That's the problem, I don't see why it wouldn't stack. As well as Under Cover stacking if used twice or Vent Steam if used 3 times. The Stacking section only states that all other effects not covered in the exception stack, but it doesn't state anywhere in the exceptions that an action that is used twice doesn't stack when it's not based on an ability or a condition and that is the part that makes me believe that you can stack them since

• It is not a condition gained either in Night Falls, Vent Steam or Under Cover, so first exception does not apply.
  • It is neither an ability nor a condition, so sharing the name doesn't come into it either, so this exception does not apply.
  • It is not an ability, so the third exception doesn't apply again
  • It is not a condition so finally the fourth exception does not apply either

After that it just states that all other effects stack which is where using an action that does not grant an ability or condition seems to fall under.

That is the reason why I'm starting to think they stack, though I thought they wouldn't since I always have the whole "same name effects don't stack" from other games, but there is not such line in Malifaux when it refers to using actions that don't apply conditions or on abilities.

That is correct.

• Like 3

That is correct.

Thanks for clearing that up Justin!

well then. Carry on everything to see here.....i mean nothing nothing to see here.

well the saving grace on Night terrors is that the aura is only ht 1 so it cant reach over walls.  when they say night falls they really mean night is seeping up from the ground

Well, as long as the model I want to shove the night into is Ht 2 and is behind Ht 1 crates, it's still going to eat the effect, so no biggie.

That's. Unexpected.

But awesome.

Indeed.

Also awesome if having the Wyrd guys actively contributing to the healthy rules discussions and being able to clear up issues straight away.

There are plenty of other war games out there who let huge rules quiries fester away in the forums even leaving the players and tournament having to house rule them for months at a time when somebody could easily clear them up.

Bi-monthly FAQ and erettas are also fantastic.

All in all, the figures/characters and gameplay got me hooked on malifaux but Wyrd itself and it's interaction with the community makes it easy to stay!

Indeed.

Also awesome if having the Wyrd guys actively contributing to the healthy rules discussions and being able to clear up issues straight away.

There are plenty of other war games out there who let huge rules quiries fester away in the forums even leaving the players and tournament having to house rule them for months at a time when somebody could easily clear them up.

Bi-monthly FAQ and erettas are also fantastic.

All in all, the figures/characters and gameplay got me hooked on malifaux but Wyrd itself and it's interaction with the community makes it easy to stay!

I don't blame them.

We don't want to create a situation where, to play the game by the official rules, you need to hunt through forums for hours.

Officially, anything I post here is my opinion and has as much meaning as anything you post (see the stickied thread in this forum). Sometimes I'll jump in, if I think the rules are pretty well in black and white on the issue and I can stop confusion. But anything that officially interprets or changes rules is in the FAQ.

• Like 4