Jackhammer Kick and Disengaging Strikes

rythos42

Question

Jackhammer Kick on Mei Feng says that it pushes into base contact even if the attack fails or was taken as a Disengaging Strike. Does this push happen before or after the model Disengages?

Von Schill announces he will attempt to Disengage. He succeeds. Does he move, then Mei pushes into base? Or does Mei push into base then he moves?

11 answers to this question

Had not really thought about the fact that it says "push into base contact" and not push 3" towards the target.

If you are kicking over a piece of height 1 terrain or kicking a target standing on height 1 terrain or kicking over a 2" gap, this would not be possible.

However, I guess you would just push as close as you could, or would the action fail since it's not possible to finish the action? If you were kicking over a gap, if the action does not fail, does she push to the edge or fall through? Not push at all?

That is always the way I have played it, and may very well be their intent.  Since most pushed indicate "towards", "away", or "any direction", it seems as though the better language choice might have been "push 3" towards", as that would have insured base contact.

Instead of the imperative, they chose the simply indicate that the model does so, which not being a Place, can situationally certainly not occur.

So, I thought there might be a possibility this language choice was intentional and driven by "fluff", that it is a leaping forward kick, that cannot be attempted through other models or obstruction (as it can certainly be done if the push into actual base contact is not a requisite) if the way was not "clear".

With the interpretation that the push must only be attempted, I guess in my example with Mei kicking a model across a 2" gap (both models on parallel Terra Clips skywalks without "railings" for example, or simply on opposite building across an alley), Mei would end up falling to the ground, as although blocking terrain would end the push, the edge of a piece of terrain would not.

I was not debating the intent whether the path should be "direct", only whether if the action says it results in the the push ending in base contact, that if the base contact that it presumes will take place after the action is not possible, whether the action was therefor not possible.