Kirai Spirit Beacon combo with Of Pity & Wind

sharpobjects

Question

I just started dabbling with Kirai recently and I noticed what I think could be a nifty combo using the upgrade Spirit Beacon and her Df/Wp trigger Of Pity and Wind. I am not sure if I am interpreting the abilities correctly.

Kirai's Df/Wp trigger from the front of her card:

Df/Wp (M) Of Pity and Wind: After an Attack Action succeeds against this model, target friendly Spirit within 2" and LoS suffers the effects of the Action as if it had been the target instead of this model, including any Triggers.

Spirit Beacon ability from her Upgrade Spirit Beacon:

Spirit Beacon: When a friendly Seishin within 2" and LoS is killed by an Attack Action, this model may suffer 1 damage. If it does, the Seishin is not killed and heals 1 damage.

The way I understand it, if Kirai triggers Of Pity and Wind and pawns the effects of the action and any subsequent triggers to a Seishin within 2 inches and lets say the damage done to the Seishin would kill it could she then use her ability from Spirit Beacon and keep the Seishin alive with 1 wound and take a wound herself in the process?

The part that makes me think she can is the part I underlined above in the explanation of Pity & Wind where it states " as if it had been the target instead of this model". So the Seishin now becomes the target of the attack action due to Kirai's trigger, the damage kills the Seishin and then Spirit Beacon kicks in as long as the Seishin is within 2 inches of Kirai and Kirai takes 1 damage. 

Thoughts?

5 answers to this question

Sounds about right. I rememebr breaking this in the beta when it was when a Seishin was killed or Sacrificed.

Its pretty good, but its in a crew that spends wounds as a resource, so having the protection for Kirai isalmost essential

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your responses. 

The first time I played Kirai I only used her Df/Wp trigger to pawn the attacks off on the Seishin but I didn't use Spirit Beacon. Lord Chompy made quick work of Kirai because I could only pawn 2 attacks off onto 2 Seishin I had and then all the rest of the attacks hit Kirai, onslaught sucks lol. 

But using Spirit Beacon I think Kirai at least would not have been killed on that turn. Maybe next turn if I didn't draw any masks or ran out of stones. 

Cool, she is a bit more survivable than I originally thought