jacob start

izikial

Hi, I got jacob, played my first game with him last night, I wone but it was the othere persons first game ever. I love what he dose, although I'm not to fond of the brilliance thing, what modle's would you recomoned getting next to give me mobility and possibly punch that arnt to brilliance focused

• Like 1

I tend to play my Lynch crew as Neverborn so here are a few great models to pick up to help him out

Mr Graves * - Beat Stick, hits like a freight train and tough as nails - No Particular synergy with Brilliance

Mr Tannen * - Offers lots of useful support options - Also No Synergy with Brilliance

Beckoners * - Lure, some useful support, easy way to use Brilliance at range. 

Terror Tots - VERY Fast, Tough, Cheap - Great for Objective running where movement and markers are involved.

Depleted * - Really quite tough for a 4ss minion, dish out Brilliance. Really good for their cost. 

Teddy - He's just rude, really tough, high damage, awesome model!

Doppelganger - Another support model but incredibly useful, work checking out. 

Stitched Together * - Cheapish, fairly resilient, come with a few really nice tricks. 

As for Ten Thunders you could dip into almost any of the other crews to find something useful. For example

Toshiro the Daimyo - Tough, Hits hard, buffs minions like mad making Illimunated REALLY scary

Izamu the Armour - Tough as hell, hits harder than Toshiro, self heals, a very self sufficient model. 

Dawn Serpent - Really good ranged and melee options, can heal quite effectively. All round great model.

Thunder Archers or Katanaka Snipers - Offer really nice ranged support, both have benefits that offer different options. Both are very useful

Tengu - Cheap, fairly fast and great for running objectives. 

The Neverborn models markered with * are all Darkened so Lynch can hire upto 4 of them regardless of faction declared. Beckoners, Stitched Together and Depleted are Neverborn only so they are the only ones it really makes a difference for. Hopefully this will give you a few ideas. If you have the Rulebook you can check out most of these guys before committing to buying them. If they aren't in the large Rulebook then they will be Wave 2 models and their rules can be found in the Downloads section on this site. 

I went ten thunders as there are so meany models I read the rules to and think they sound awsome, basicly all the hench and rear 1 things are really cool. Not as keen on the chaf.

for neverborn I like terror tots, I like depleted and stitched a bit but I can get them anyway.

Not overly keen on suport models unless there realy usefull like tannen and to me beckoners and dopleganager ant as cool

The problem I have with 10t is that I like to meny thing's and I'm paralised by options, wial not likeing/seeing good objective runners

Torakage are really good objective runners in my opinion. They certainly aren't the cheapest option but they are almost impossible to pin down thanks to their Agile ability and they have a stellar Wk of 6 giving them some real good movement. They are great at moving around and leaving scheme markers and they are no slouch in combat either. At 6ss each and a statline of 6's they are damn good for their cost. 

the template 50ss crew I have come up with is as follows

jacob

expert cheater

the rising sun

woke up with a hand

(tempted to lose expert cheater, not sure)

hungry

addict

mr graves

mr tannen

2 illuminated

2 torakage

the idea is the 2 torakage are for objective running and splitting of from the group, the 2 illuminated are 1 each for Jacob and hungry looking to brilliance a model so they can unleash on them, tannan is a defensive support mainly used for his chatty, graves is a front man used to push hungry up and have solid brilliance independent damage.

this is just a rough outline, if the strat/scheme don't use interacts then I can lose tannan, if I need more runners then swap an illuminated for another torakage (like tengu and will try them after wave 2 release). I am lacking utility pieces, but there are a lot of utility pieces I just don't see a use for (beckoners I just dont like). stitched are an option if I don't need to run around (kill strat with assassinate/vendetta scheme's)

my gf is playing seamus, and the gamer in me is telling me to use kang and yamaziko but that would feel a bit cruel

edit: I do see a use for beckoners, but I see Jacob as a killy crew who dose objectives by removing opposition rather than working around them, so sitting back and luring people in would mean I can do a lot of damage a lot easier but make me an even worse objective runner. also as I said my gf is Seamus so she's already luring, and in a lure war she will come out on top 

edit 2: I could swap the illuminated for beckoner's, I lose a lot of damage, but get better sustained brillianceing and make my hungry and Jacob hit more often as they have to walk less, I do like the toughness and damage of illuminated, ill have to try things out

I play Lynch from the Neverborn/Brilliance side, so I won't comment on crew details here. But I have found "Expert Cheater" to be invaluable. Lynch's abilities are relatively short-ranged, particularly his pistol at 8", so you need to have him up reasonably close to the action. "Squeel" (push on failed Df duel against Ml with a  :mask ) can be an absolute lifesaver if something nasty breaks through and gets into combat with him. Take one hit, stone for damage reduction, push 4" and get the **** out of there. 

The ability to cheat face down, especially combined with the fact that enemies take 2 damage for cheating an attack against him, is also a very potent ability. I've used it a number of times now to cheat in a card that was just over my opponent's total. Oftentimes they will decide not to cheat back at that point, not knowing how high they actually need to go and unwilling to take damage for what might be no gain. It is a good way to beat an attack with a card that your opponent could otherwise have easily cheated over. 

Railworkers, Gunslingers, Ronin, in fact any model that discards a card for "X" are a bit more useful with JL due to Ace in the Hole.  Wastrels are a special case due to Castoffs.  They can heal models within 6" 2 wounds and with the right suit discarded (and taken back if an Ace) take a shot with blasts, a swing for extra damage and slow or teleport to a friendly scheme marker within 12", even heal themselves.  Teamed up with a Railworker to heal them the 2 wounds required and make them Hard to Kill again.     

the reason I don't want to go brilliance heavy is all brilliance dose is make you do more damage, Jacob already dose a lot of damage, so I don't need to make that even higher, I need a way to move quicker and add a bit of control, also as there is only one way to make brilliance permanent its an investment every turn to brilliance people so your hitters can hurt them, if your hitters are not nearby then you cant help them.

basically to boil it down Jacob dose damage and is a cluster of hurt, if you go brilliance then you do more damage and are required even more to cluster so yh I suppose if your doing it anyway why not be amazing at it, but it really limits your potential and stops you doing mobility based strats and schemes

I also think 10t stuff has better rules than nb and looks cooler than nb and I like to have a ranged option that nb often lack

I think that Jakob is fine without investing heavily in Brilliance. It is another useful tool to have; sometimes you do want your pieces to hit a bit harder and having that option to turn them up to 11 can get the needed results sometimes.  My experience has been that taking at least one Beckoner is useful even if you don't intend to use it to drop Brilliance around.  Don't forget that you can Lure your own models if you need for a bit of extra movement, and the Beckoner triggers to move anyway afterwards so it's not like it is a waste of her AP (actually you can also do this to push out of melee if needed).

Your first decision playing Lynch is going to be which of the Hungering Darkness-focussed upgrades you'll want.  I don't think I'd advocate leaving home without one of them on Lynch (I have heard of folks trying out Kamitachi instead of Hungering Darkness but I haven't tried it) and they really change what you can do with the big tadpole monster.  I don't really find it profitable to play with many other upgrades as I'd rather just have more miniatures but I see your sample list has a few options so go with your feelings for a while.

Lynch absolutely loves any model with a 'discard a card to do x' option as pointed out by Falconrider.  Thunder Archers are great, but getting to Rapid Fire for free any time you have an ace in your hand is amazing.  Luring them to a place where they can do it to best effect with a Beckoner can be effective if you can spare the AP.  Rail Workers get the same benefit from Ace In The Hole for Implacable Assault but it seems that you're trying to stay away from slower options.

Kang is brutal against any undead or constructs; you can get a toned down (but broader application) version of the same effect with Toshiro depending on crew build.  Note that Kang is far from fast on his feet though.

Showing my working:  here, here and here, at least for wave one stuff.  My own Ten Thunders collection and hence what I can play in tournaments is rather haphazardly assembled so if you make your choices now you might find that you can get a much tighter set of options.  There is some good advice here and in other threads in this subforum as long as you're sure which do and don't include wave two and which are really talking about Neverborn Lynch who appears to play a rather different game.

the problem I have with slow things is that lynch's crew isn't speedy, playing with his started box atm is showing me that things like brake through are wasted scheme's on him and I feel like putting in more slow things for his crew wont help him. I don't hate the miniatures necessarily, although im not a rail worker fan.

my gf is my main opponent atm and she is playing Seamus, so kang would feel like a kick in her pants, I want to learn to beat Seamus and then if I go to a tournament or something then I already have the strats down and so by taking things like kang then I have a guaranteed win, sort of.

I played ace wrong to begin with, but I still don't feel discards are really good on him, id take 1 or 2 maybe but reading guides it feels like people want to spam the discard models and I don't see that

as I said im playing Seamus a lot I started with the casting expert one as I prefer it, but my gf is getting the hang of lure so I take the rising sun one so I can use him as a lure wall wail I move up and engage, then when he dies I can kill them as im right next to them by now and i get him back

just read your battle reports, I do kind of like your Jacob crew set up. thanks for them

• 2 weeks later...