Cheating Fate - new player questions

J_D

Question

Couple of questions that came up from a game I played last night - Misaki vs Seamus

1) How many times can you cheat Fate in a go? I was under the impression you flip as normal, then can elect to cheat Fate or not only once. However, my opponent believed that you could go back and forth and do it as many times as you want.

2) What is the correct way to cheat Fate when you have a - Flip/s (from combat modifier and Hard to Wound +1), but then can cheat Fate from an ability (Misaki firefox)? The way I read it (and we played it), was that my opponent flipped 3 cards and chose the lowest (as the normal procedure) and then he could elect to cheat this card to get more damage.

5 answers to this question

1) Only ever allowed to cheat once.  Loser of the duel has the option to cheat first then winner of the duel.  When the duel is tied, defender is the loser.

2) flip out all cards from damage then cheat, if ability allows.  You played this correctly.

So just another question that came up last night: If you are charging, do you have to stop once you reach a models engagement range? Or can you keep moving as long as you stay in it.

The scenario was my opponent charged past a Belle to reach another Belle behind her. I was of the impression that once you reached a models engagement range you would have to stop (or at least take a duel to try and break engagement), but my opponent said because he was still in the first Belles engagement range he could keep moving past her to reach the second one (and hence tie both of them up)

Being engaged stops you from declaring a charge if you are engaged at the start of the action. Disengaging strikes are only for Walk actions starting engaged and moving out of that model's engagement range. For all other movement you can run in and out of engagement range as much as you like.

Some things to think about when charging into a group: You have to declare a specific model as your target, so you have to have LoS to that model when starting. You have to move in a straight line. You do not have to move straight at the target though, but you have to end the move with that model in your engagement range. You have to use both your charge Ml actions against that model, so if you kill it in one hit the other Ml action is wasted.

• Like 1

So just another question that came up last night: If you are charging, do you have to stop once you reach a models engagement range? Or can you keep moving as long as you stay in it.

The scenario was my opponent charged past a Belle to reach another Belle behind her. I was of the impression that once you reached a models engagement range you would have to stop (or at least take a duel to try and break engagement), but my opponent said because he was still in the first Belles engagement range he could keep moving past her to reach the second one (and hence tie both of them up)

What Bengt said. Your opponent was correct on this one. Note that he still has to attack the first Belle with his two charge attacks. If he has an additional attack (like Masters or Melee Experts), he could attack the second Belle after.