First steps with Pandora (tactics)? Need help!

Zwergenkrieger

Hi all,

I´m going to run Pandora this week, but I have no clue what to do with her. I ran her several times in M1.5 but now it seems that she has altered her playstyle to some degree. Or am I wrong here?

Therefore:

Which upgrades should I use for my first run?

Which synergies to certain models does she offer? Is it important to run her totem?

Is it still the "death by a thousand cuts" strategy when it comes down to removing models?

Any advice on what I should have in mind playing her?

Thanks in advance

HTG

That's a lot of questions - most of them needing quite in depth answers, so I'll start with a pointer to my blog where, back in sept/oct I wrote a lengthy and detailed pandora tactica which covers this

Joelfaux.blogspot.com

But in brief for here:

Pandora's general playstyle has not changed much - she still wants to catch people in her aura's and go after their Wp, she just needs to be closer to do it.

Upgrades: I'd suggest going with "the box opens" to make her terrifying 13 to all (it's an extra Wp check and a way of draining the opponent's hand), then the neverborn generic "fears given form" to add another aura of damage and take advantage of her 3" engagement range - and give you something that goes after Df, just in case. The third upgrade is scheme dependent, but fugue state is very useful in anything that requires interactions, and aether connection can be great at keeping her alive against the rare things that can hit her.

She synergises well with anything that causes Wp tests, so obviously her box set - and add to this Teddy (who also combines with kade), the weaver widow, bishop, insidious madness and nekima - and to a degree anything woe (Tannen for example, as well as the twins) or anything that is terrifying or manipulative (doppleganger especially). She doesn't need to run the poltergeist (although it is pretty good) - but if she' s not, then the primordial magic is an excellent addition indeed!

There is still a strong element of the "death by 1000 cuts" which Is why models like teddy make so many lists as a counterpoint. However, with even 1 sorrow in range, pandora can lay out 9dg a turn in a 4" pulse, so it's not too shabby, and she can hit any model with its own most damaging attack form.

As for playing her, imagine the model is made out of plutonium - and that other model will get hurt just from being nearby. Set up these situations and you'll experience some success with her.

Hope that helps, and check out my blog for more info.

Joel

Joel's blogpost on Pandora is really good, make sure to check that out!

Here are some other great sources:

http://guessingzero.com/fridaux-thirteen-creating-a-pandora-list/

http://rathnard.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/rathnard-does-neverborn-pandora.html

Pandora is at her peak when she can control a certain space of the board, so strategies
where she have to spread out a lot, like Reconnoiter and Squatter's Rights, is not the best for her.
With that said, she can do those just fine, due to that she works well independetly of her crew.
Also, in Squatter's, she can shut down enemy models if you take her Fugue State upgrade.

When you hire your crew, make sure to not go overboard with only wp-based attacks, or terrifying duels.
Crews which are strong against such will be hard to crack otherwise.