Crafting Starting Gear

Frankatron

Simple question, if I'm creating a character with rank 3 Blacksmithing, can I craft and modify my own starting gear? I imagine my character has been working for a long time in order to learn this crafting skill. I think it's fair to assume he's created a few items for himself. However, the true question is one of starting character balance. The counter point is that I've spent my valuable "3" in a crafting skill so as to gain this benefit and it plays well into my Tinkerer's background. I'm pretty sure most FM would say no.

As a fatemaster I would go with no myself.  I would allow you to say you did the crafting and modifying of your starting gear but I would still have you pay the full scrip price for it.  The 10 scrip is more what you have as a balancing point in my mind then you actually having bought 10 scrip worth of stuff.  That said, you could spend none of your starting scrip and use that once your character has time to build your things, just means you might be unarmed or lightly armed for the first session.

A lot of talents don't produce a lot of instant use like combat and social skills right off the bat in the campaign, but they still have a lot of value once you start getting to use them.  Afterall, would someone who had Alchemistry, stitching *can make armor with that*, or another crafting skill be in a similar boat?

31 minutes ago, EnternalVoid said:

As a fatemaster I would go with no myself.  I would allow you to say you did the crafting and modifying of your starting gear but I would still have you pay the full scrip price for it.  The 10 scrip is more what you have as a balancing point in my mind then you actually having bought 10 scrip worth of stuff. 

This was what I went as well. It doesn't make sense for one player to be able to turn their 10 scrip into 40 worth of weapons/armor (buying at 1/4 list price) from a game/player balance perspective. 

• Like 1