Augmented, augments, and pneumatics questions

DarkSpade

Player in a campaign I'm starting has chosen to start as an augmented, and it's raised some questions.

1) "An Augmented begins the game with one pneumatic limb with augments of a total value up to 25 script."

Does the cost of the limb come out of that 25 script, or is it a free limb that can have 25 script in augments?  Can the 25 script be used toward a weapon put in a brace augment? Can the player use their starter 10 script toward the limb and it's augments?

2)The enhanced fist and crusher augments are for making unarmed attacks, right?  Or can you get the damage bonus for any close combat attack?  Are these considered pneumatic weapons?

3) If I'm reading the FAQ and the multiple combat skills box on page 119 of the player book right, in order to get the most out of a pneumatic weapon, a player must maintain ranks in both pneumatic weapons, and the proper weapon skill.  That seems like a lot of character development dedicated toward swinging around an oil dripping sword just to get an extra flip.  Is it really that powerful of a weapon upgrade?

12 hours ago, DarkSpade said:

Player in a campaign I'm starting has chosen to start as an augmented, and it's raised some questions.

1) "An Augmented begins the game with one pneumatic limb with augments of a total value up to 25 script."

Does the cost of the limb come out of that 25 script, or is it a free limb that can have 25 script in augments?  Can the 25 script be used toward a weapon put in a brace augment? Can the player use their starter 10 script toward the limb and it's augments? weapon upgrade?

25 total scrip for limb + upgrades.

If they want to upgrade it beyond that point with their starting cash, I don't think it'd be too much of a problem.

2)The enhanced fist and crusher augments are for making unarmed attacks, right?  Or can you get the damage bonus for any close combat attack?  Are these considered pneumatic weapons?

Per the rules on page 175 (emphasis mine):

"Damaging +2: Characters dealing damage with Pugilism or Martial Arts Close Combat attacks deal an additional amount of damage equal to their Damaging value."

In 1st edition, they are considered to be pneumatic weapons (and thus are subject to the "Multiple Combat Skills" rules on pg. 119 of the Fated Almanac).

3) If I'm reading the FAQ and the multiple combat skills box on page 119 of the player book right, in order to get the most out of a pneumatic weapon, a player must maintain ranks in both pneumatic weapons, and the proper weapon skill.  That seems like a lot of character development dedicated toward swinging around an oil dripping sword just to get an extra flip.  Is it really that powerful of a weapon upgrade?

Yes, the character would have to abide by the "Multiple Combat Skills" rules.

I agree that it's a lot of effort for not much gain.

In 2nd edition, the "Multiple Combat Skills" rule is going away and the Pneumatics skill is becoming an independent skill that works in the same way as Melee or Pistols. Unarmed attacks with a pneumatic limb will simply use the relevant unarmed skill, not pneumatics, though characters will gain a bonus for attacking with such limbs over fleshy limbs.

• Like 1