LOS questions

AtomBalm

Question

Hey all, had a great game last night with Yan Lo, but i had a few LOS questions pop up. Hoping to get some clarification here.

1. Does Yan need LOS to harvest chi?

2. When Yan Lo is incorporeal does he need line of site to use his Hunpo Assault?

EX: there was someone on the other side of a building, i moved through it and ended in melee range to strike. 

3. Do i need LOS to use soul porter's empower ancestor?

4.Lastly for Chiaki's Purity, can i cast the spell with no enemies in range to be effected, in order to pull off the face in the crowd trigger? Or does an enemy model have to be affected to consider the spell going off?

Thanks Guys!!

3 answers to this question

1. Yes, Harvest Chi works off of an aura and auras always require LoS.

2. I don't think Yan Lo even needs incorporeal to move "through" a wall. The rule says to place him within 8" and a place is not hindered by terrain or LoS (although it must be legal to place him on whatever terrain is below him).

3. Any time an ability says to "target" something, LoS is required unless it explicitly states it is not.

4. No, the spell will "succeed" as long as you meet the TN. 

Edited to change pulses to auras before somebody calls me out.

1. Yes. Auras are only active when the models are within LOS and in range.

2. You actually don't need to be incorporeal to move around a wall with Hunpo Assault. Placing a model doesn't count as a move, so you may place a model anywhere within the given range. As well, you don't choose targets at the start of the action, so they need not be in LOS when you first declare Hunpo Assault's use

3. Yes. Models not within LOS are not valid targets (unless otherwise stated).

4. No, there doesn't need to be any valid targets in pulse range.

Don't think I screwed any of that up, hope it helps!

Edit: Ninja'd while consulting the rules and cards! At least it confirms everything.